GPU necessary?

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I just hired a new office manager who will start tomorrow and built her a new computer as well. I'm getting a 4 beep - no bios startup (MSI A68A-G43 mb) and everything I can find says its a bad system timer, but one place suggested that the processor wasn't compatible with the IGP (integrated graphics processor). I looked to see if the i5-3570 was compatible with it, but wasn't positive (it looked like it might be). I have built 2, i7 computers, but they both have GPUs. While I wait for responses, I'm going to take one of the video cards out of one of them and see if I can get to bios that way. If not, I'll see if there are any other suggestions you all have or if it will need to be RMAd. I'm hoping I can get this figured out tonight so I can get it running, programs installed, networked etc tonight.

If it turns out that it needs a GPU, I'll just run to office max and grab one real quick.

Thanks for the help

Ok, talked to tech support and my mb was made in feb of this year and bios needs to be the april or newer to work with the ivy bridge processors. It doesn't support my i7 processors, so does anyone know any tricks to updating bios when you can't boot your computer to bios? If not, it gets RMAd and hope they can figure out what bios version is on it prior to sending it back or this could be a huge waste of time.

You'll have to use another GPU to update the bios. There isn't any other way to flash without being able to see. Most flash programs are from within Windows these days.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I might not have been as clear as I needed to on what the tech told me. The integrated graphics is fine and putting in my gpu didn't help. It won't boot to bios with an Ivy Bridge processor, so I need to find or take it to someone with a sandy bridge to get it to boot to bios so it can be updated by 2 months and then it will boot with the ivy i5.

Back
Top Bottom