GPU drivers auto updating

dkingman

Baseband Member
Every time I uninstall drivers for my new GPU and reboot win7 auto updates them. I've switched auto update off and it still does it. Absolutely mind blowingly annoying!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Win7 64

Last edited:
Well of course they're going to reinstall after you install them - it's detecting new hardware where a better driver than just the basic display driver is available.

What GPU do you have? Why aren't you just installing the GPU manufacturer's driver (nVidia, AMD, or Intel)?

Is it downloading from Windows Update and installing, or just installing from the driver repo that's in Windows?

It's installing drivers after I uninstall old ones and reboot. I thought it was always a good idea to completely remove all gpu drivers before before manually installing new ones, which seems impossible if every time I uninstall old drivers and reboot, it auto updates them again and I can't stop it, and I'm pretty sure the last time it auto updated it wasn't the latest nvidia drivers.

Anyway, I just gave up and manually installed the latest nvidia drivers without getting rid of the old ones and it seems fine....so far.

As long as you're going in the same "family" of GPU drivers (nvidia->nvidia) it's usually fine to just install over top of the old ones. If you're switching brands (AMD->nvidia or vice versa) then using DDU is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom