GPU cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevelationSpace

Solid State Member
I just bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 260, and I was looking at some extra cooling for it since I've heard they suffers badly when too hot.

A friend recommended I use a Zalman VF1000, but I've had a look on their site and it doesn't look like Zalman have updated their compatibility list since the 200 series cards were released (I hope, since my friend says he's run their coolers long before Zalman have said they're compatible in the past).

I was just wondering if anyone knew for certain whether the VF1000 would work or not? If not, an alternate suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.

why do u know use it and see for your self if it runs really hot, then if i doesn't, u don't need to spend money on a after market cooler... :)

I don't know, I've always been a little paranoid about keeping things cool. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so to speak.

well just wait, then once u have it, use a program to tell us the temps, and we'll let you know if u should put an aftermarket cooler on it....u are overclocking right?

Yeah it was pretty good.

I've been looking around a lot and it seems that the 260 doesn't run nearly as hot as the 280, so I think I'll take your advice and not bother with an after market fan unless I get some problems with overheating.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Actually if you have an empty expansion slot (pci, pcie, or agp) under your card you could slap in a cheap expansion slot fan for 10 bucks (look for one that exhausts out the back of the case). Cheap way to effectively help cool any video card without having to worry about compatibility or voiding a warranty.

Sure it wont overclock-proof the card but if your worried about too much heat at factory settings that will keep it cool, and also help cool the rest of your case.

Personally I replaced a higher quality slot fan with a Thermaltake A2426 when I moved the prior fan to a new rig. for under 10 bucks I'd recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom