Got a new GFX Card, PC not recognizing.

Ormazd

Baseband Member
I have a GT5228 Gateway Computer, and recently, my friend gave me his graphics card he doesn't use anymore, I believe it was the GT240, and I plugged it into my PCI-E slot and turned on my computer and it has no signal.

I tried first by hooking up the VGA to my Graphics card and setting the monitor to VGA and I had no signal, than I tried hooking up the graphics card to DVI and my monitor to DVI and still have no signal.

The only way my PC works is if I connect my VGA onto the motherboards VGA slot which uses the on board graphics card, but if I connect anything to the stand alone GFX card, I have no signal.

What gives?

The bios has to be set to boot with PCI-E. If it requires a 6pin power connector (doubtful) that has to be plugged in as well.

It doesn't have a 6Pin connector, you mean an extra wire you plug into the GFX Card correct? There is none, it's just plug and play.

How do I boot from BIOS? What if that doesn't work can I get my old graphics card from my Mobo to be used again? I don't want this computer to die.

It's compatible with my PC/PSU right?

It doesn't have a 6Pin connector, you mean an extra wire you plug into the GFX Card correct? There is none, it's just plug and play.

How do I boot from BIOS? What if that doesn't work can I get my old graphics card from my Mobo to be used again? I don't want this computer to die.

It's compatible with my PC/PSU right?

Honestly your current "BTX" psu may not have the power to handle your new vga card.
You might have some luck by looking at this:
KINGWIN ABT-650MM 650W ATX 12V v2.2/ BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com

If you are deadset on using that old gateway that may help it out.
Otherwise keep your new card and consider getting a new pc or have some build it for you. :)

Best of luck.

The 300w PSU is fine.

Plug your monitor back into the motherboard slot, and go into the bios. When the post screen first comes on there should be words on there somewhere that say F2 or Delete or something like that to enter "setup" or "Bios". There will be a setting to change that associates with booting from IGP/Onboard or PCI-E. Could also be called PEG. The easiest way to know if the card will work is while the monitor is plugged into the motherboard graphics boot all the way in to Windows. If it installs drivers for the card it's working.

Also be sure to set the allocated graphics memory to zero if you have that option.

I can't find it after I hit F2 in Bios. I don't want to screw anything up.

I can't find it after I hit F2 in Bios. I don't want to screw anything up.

Go into bios, next find a option that says GPU or onboard. :/
Look at that menu and select you should be able to choose pci pr pci-e.
Choose pci-e and "save" changes to your bios.
Power down your machine and insert your graphics card.
Dont tighten it to hard just make sure its snug and not jiggly.
Turn on your machine, you should be able to see your video cards bios at boot up.
If that happens great, now boot into windows, let everything boot up.
Get your drivers from nvidia.com have it auto detect and install.

Once its done you should no more issues down the road for now.

Back
Top Bottom