Got most of my build down, just need a hand narrowing down the choices - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Got most of my build down, just need a hand narrowing down the choices

So after weeks of researching i think i am finally ready to start putting this comp together. I just need to help narrowing down some choices and get feedback.

My list so far:

Cool master stacker 830
Q6600 quad G0 stepping
G.Skill DDR2 SDRAM 800 (PC2 6400)
looking at an EVGA 680i MB, or MSI ATX P6N SLI-FI Motherboard
For the HD, i'm looking at two 500gig in a RAID 0 config. any suggestions on which brand i should get?
PSU will either be am ultra 3x 1000w or that silencer psu that was recomended for me, i am planning to do SLI in the future, so thats why i am looking at the ultra 3x.
8800 ultra ( will get another one in the future when they come down in price)
and a 22" samsung monitor 1680x1050 and 2ms response time
The water cooling is still up for grabs, i am looking at this one: 3dGameMan.com - #871 - Thermaltake Bigwater 760i Water Cooling System
but i need to do further research into it.

So i'm still having huge problems with the motherboard, i just dont know what the difference is between all the big name brands. I am planning to overclock so it needs to be a good overclocker, dont need DDR3. Has to be SLI ready and well, perform well.

As for water cooling i would like to hook it up to my processor and vid cards too ( can you hook it up to your mb?) and was wondering if you need two seperate pumps or is it possible to buy one kit?

Hard drives also need to be narrowed down, i need a lot of space. was gonna get the WD 750gig but i also want RAID. So two 500gigs looks to be my best bet so far.

Another thing too is sound. Most motherboards say they support up to 7.1. was just wondering if i should look into buying a sound card as well? i have a nice logitec 5.1 setup now on a sound blaster audigy pro, and i listen to a lot of music. So is the onboard sound a good enough or would you guys recomend getting a sound card?

The last thing would be knowing where to purchase all these. I live in Western Canada and there arent many good computer stores i can walk into and buy from. I would like to buy from the US since most of their components are cheaper and found this site Mail Forwarding Leader - Your Very Own U.S. Mailing Address - Mailforwarding that allows you to bypass the "no shipping to canada"

Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick
Default Re: Got most of my build down, just need a hand narrowing down the choices

that is a nice build, is a 1000w PSU necesary though

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Got most of my build down, just need a hand narrowing down the choices

I would say go with the Cooler master 690 because its cheaper and offers more fans, and for 280, you can get a really nice silverstone.

The Asus Striker motherboard is very good for SLI, or you can get Asus P5N32-E-SLI.

I would go with the Pc power and cooling 750Quad.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

ok... overkill build... lets start with taht PSU... 1000w?? your kidding me right? a PC Power and Cooling 610 will be more than enough to take 2 Ultra's and a overclocked Quad-Core, since you like SLi so much... get the eVGA 680i SLi since its 153.99$ at newegg... or get the Asus P5N32-E-SLI (but this uses x8 instead of x16 for SLi) the CoolerMaster 690 is overall better for the price... and get a DangerDen Water Cooling Kit which is overall better
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 09-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

thats what i fort, a 1000W psu is only needed on system running two ultras, about 6 HDs and a quad cpu
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
thats what i fort, a 1000W psu is only needed on system running two ultras, about 6 HDs and a quad cpu
not even needed for that...

Don't even dare buying a Bigwater water cooling system....I have seen so many leak
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora View Post
not even needed for that...

Don't even dare buying a Bigwater water cooling system....I have seen so many leak
dangerden is overall better like i said... thanks for the support
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 09-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

is watercooling that dodgy? like the liquid could go on your conponents?

Closed Thread