got 800bones and need a new pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default got 800bones and need a new pc

i everyone im hoping some of you smart people on this forum can help me. i think its about time i upgrade my old intel duel core system so im here. now ive takin apart a few old computer destin for the dump and upgraded ram, so i feel rather comfortable in putting one together. but when it comes time to picking out the parts im alittle lost. now im a gamer Dragon age, beat hazard, borderlands to name a few so i dont think ill need a super gaming pc but things can aways look nicer. i have 2 monitor 22" and 17" and tend to have alot of windows open. from my research i think ill need a quad core and faster ram? i was looking through newegg and whats up with harddrive prices? after seeing that crap i think ill just take the hdd out of my pc and reuse it and i have a windows 7 disc. and turn around and sell the pc w/o a hdd. as said in the title i have 800 bucks but spending less is never a bad thing

Edit: forgot to ask about overclocking wondering if its hard and do you need to know anything special to do it without frying your computer

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again
Default Re: got 800bones and need a new pc

If you do a search thru the General and High performance sections, people have suggested LOTS of different builds to others, (both AMD and INTEL) so I would start there.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Is your Windows 7 license Retail or OEM? If its OEM and has already been loaded onto a computer it is tied to that motherboard.
It should identify what type of license it is on the box, on the sticker, or if it is loaded onto a computer:
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. On General Tab, under “Registered to:” you can see a product ID (divided into 4 groups of characters separated by hyphens). On an OEM installation, the 2nd group of characters is always OEM whereas on a Retail installation, you will see numbers (such 623).
Assuming it is Retail, or has not been loaded, my suggestion:

CPU + Cooler: $260 Intel i5 2500K + Corsair CAFA70 (currently out of stock)
Motherboard: $170 MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
RAM + Case: $89 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X + Cooler Master HAF 912
Case Fans: $30 Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm (x3)
PSU + ODD: $75 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 + Sony 24x DVD/CD Burner
GPU: $190 HIS IceQ HD 6870

Total = $814 (-$105 in rebates = $709)
Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

its retail all numbers
Closed Thread