got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
siddanth3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: manchester, NH
Posts: 395
Question got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

hey guys. i saved up about 150$ to spend on my comp. my current rig is in my sig.
i dont know what i should upgrade with that much money coz its not that much. i was think of a new dual core cpu and a cheap mobo.

i am thinking either the x2 3600 or the intel pentium dual core 2140.
any recommendations on the mobos thats gonna fit my budget for both amd and intel.

i am leaning towards the brisbane 3600 then the 2140, but i dont know why.

i wont be upgrading any other parts of my comp for 3-4 months, so will i be able to do some overclocking with my current parts and the new cpu+mobo.

and one more thing. will i notice a vast difference in performance if i upgrade to a 3600, and dont overclock it.

what do u guys suggest. should i upgrade right now or not. coz the thing is, i dont like spending huge sums of money at once. i like to do eveything step by step.

any recommendation is appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Antec 900
P4 prescott @3ghz HT 775
ViewSonic 20.1" lcd display + Samsung SyncMaster 2253
Corsair 2x512mb ddr2 533
FoxConn M7VMX-K LGA 775
FPS 400watt
WD 640 GB + WD 320 GB
Western Digital My Book 320gb
Evga 7900 GS
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech Navigation Keyboard
Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue
siddanth3 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 175
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

I think save up a bit more and go for a new mobo + processor and ram if you have the money if not you can sit on that for a bit untill you do.
__________________

Raziel-Zero is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Pdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: American in Hong Kong
Posts: 383
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

It's never fun but I would wait and do everything together to make sure everything is compatible. Alot changes in 3-4 months and prices will probably come down lower in that time span. Personally I seek to maximize the value of my dollar so following that logic save save save until you can actually get something worthy.
Pdawg is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
siddanth3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: manchester, NH
Posts: 395
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdawg View Post
It's never fun but I would wait and do everything together to make sure everything is compatible. Alot changes in 3-4 months and prices will probably come down lower in that time span. Personally I seek to maximize the value of my dollar so following that logic save save save until you can actually get something worthy.
i understand ur point of view, but i need to know my goal though. i mean what would be worthy, i dont know that, please advice so that i can start saving more money and cut down on other expenses. i mean what should save more money for? what components???
__________________
Antec 900
P4 prescott @3ghz HT 775
ViewSonic 20.1" lcd display + Samsung SyncMaster 2253
Corsair 2x512mb ddr2 533
FoxConn M7VMX-K LGA 775
FPS 400watt
WD 640 GB + WD 320 GB
Western Digital My Book 320gb
Evga 7900 GS
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech Navigation Keyboard
Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue
siddanth3 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

Save up for a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply...because that's what needs upgrading. Well not necessarily the RAM, since you have already 2GB, but I would suggest you sell them, and get 2x1GB instead. They're not expensive now a days. Like the G. Skill DDR2-800 NQs, are only $88.99
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

If you want to upgrade 3600+ then you will need to buy another motherboard

But I think your current motherboard supports E2140, so it is better to get E2140.................
maroon1 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
siddanth3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: manchester, NH
Posts: 395
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
If you want to upgrade 3600+ then you will need to buy another motherboard

But I think your current motherboard supports E2140, so it is better to get E2140.................
well i was planning to buy a cheap mobo for the 3600. but i dont think my mobo is compatible with the 2140. and even if it is compatible. it wont fit my new atx case that i have coz the current mobo is a btx.

now my budget has increased to 200$, and i cant go further than that.
any recommendations on what i should do.
__________________
Antec 900
P4 prescott @3ghz HT 775
ViewSonic 20.1" lcd display + Samsung SyncMaster 2253
Corsair 2x512mb ddr2 533
FoxConn M7VMX-K LGA 775
FPS 400watt
WD 640 GB + WD 320 GB
Western Digital My Book 320gb
Evga 7900 GS
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech Navigation Keyboard
Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue
siddanth3 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

If you can't wait, then:

Motherboard - Biostar TF7025
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 3600+
PSU - FSP (Fortron Source) 400w

Comes to $171.48

I suggested a power supply, because Logisys can't be trusted. Also, try to sell your current RAM, and get this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
siddanth3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: manchester, NH
Posts: 395
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
If you can't wait, than:

Motherboard - Biostar TF7025
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 3600+
PSU - FSP (Fortron Source) 400w

Comes to $171.48

I suggested a power supply, because Logisys can't be trusted. Also, try to sell your current RAM, and get this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
thanks for the reply man. well the thing is, even if i waited, i wouldnt spend more than 200$ at once .
would i notice a huge perfromance difference if i got the 3600+ on stock.

and will my current rig including the memory RAM limit the overclocking of the processor on stock cooling, coz i dont plan to get a HSF.

i like the idea of selling my crurrent ram, but dont know if that is necessary. could u just give some details on why that would be good. and if i do sell, i was considering the ballistix one, cost about 100$ but has a rebate of 30$. so not a bad deal. i'll just ask my mom for the extra money, and pay her with the rebate check.
what are ur opinions.
__________________
Antec 900
P4 prescott @3ghz HT 775
ViewSonic 20.1" lcd display + Samsung SyncMaster 2253
Corsair 2x512mb ddr2 533
FoxConn M7VMX-K LGA 775
FPS 400watt
WD 640 GB + WD 320 GB
Western Digital My Book 320gb
Evga 7900 GS
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech Navigation Keyboard
Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue
siddanth3 is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: got 150$. want to upgrade. cant decide....help

I suggested you sell your current RAM, to get 2 x 1GB because one, if leaves room for upgrades, while 4 x 512 doesn't. I think it's better to run 2 x 1GB rather than 4 x 512, even though the performance difference is not that big. But that ballistix is a great deal, and I'd recommend it.

That RAM at DDR2-533 could possibly limit your overclock, so you should go for the Ballistix, if you can.
__________________

__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
CPU upgrade advice bmass New Systems | Building and Buying 24 07-02-2007 12:47 PM
Trying to decide on a GPU upgrade TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 15 06-20-2007 02:21 PM
To upgrade? or not to upgrade? wumbo6 New Systems | Building and Buying 12 06-11-2007 12:07 AM
Vista Upgrade? Saynt25 Microsoft Windows and Software 4 04-18-2007 04:48 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.