Good Video Card update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
I know a guy who is interested in upgrading his GPU and was looking for some advice. I took a look at his current system specs, and the new video card he was interested. Everything seemed to be okay but I want to be sure before I get back to him.

This is his current machine
Gateway Official Site: Shop - Desktops – LX6810-01 Product Details - LX 6810 01 Product Details

And this is the card he is looking at
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1458-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) FTW 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Keep in mind he wants a good card compatible with his machine that is preferrably under 200 bucks.

Um guys, the specs say there is 0 pci-ex16 and 0 pci-e avaliable.

I'm worried that it doesn't have a pci-e x16 as the gpu is gthe 120 with shared graphic memory...

OEMs don't under rate their psu, they usaually under power their systems.

as it is configured like that from the factory, it says 0 x16 slots because the only one it has is already taken up by the gt120, it's a dedicated card not igp.

A GTX 460 on a stock psu is an accident waiting to happen.

+1 for the 5770.

Um guys, the specs say there is 0 pci-ex16 and 0 pci-e avaliable.

I'm worried that it doesn't have a pci-e x16 as the gpu is gthe 120 with shared graphic memory...

OEMs don't under rate their psu, they usaually under power their systems.

They under rate them. Anybody with friends that build OEMs raise their hand *raises hand*. kthanx.

Shall i put my trusty 465 on a Dell PSU rated for 400w? That same Dell PSU is running dual 9600GTs and an unlocked 555 without sweating and its from an older XPS system.

OEMs expect guys like this who want to upgrade to think their PSU cant handle it so they will buy another PSU from the OEM. Its called marketing ploy, and apparently works on anybody.

I wouldnt suggest it if i didnt think it could handle it.

PowerColor HD 6850 PCS+ 1 GB Review - Page 26/32 | techPowerUp

Both cards consume less than half the rated power of his PSU.

They under rate them. Anybody with friends that build OEMs raise their hand *raises hand*. kthanx.

Shall i put my trusty 465 on a Dell PSU rated for 400w? That same Dell PSU is running dual 9600GTs and an unlocked 555 without sweating and its from an older XPS system.

OEMs expect guys like this who want to upgrade to think their PSU cant handle it so they will buy another PSU from the OEM. Its called marketing ploy, and apparently works on anybody.

I wouldnt suggest it if i didnt think it could handle it.

PowerColor HD 6850 PCS+ 1 GB Review - Page 26/32 | techPowerUp

Both cards consume less than half the rated power of his PSU.

Unless your friend happens to live in China he isn't involved with the manufacturing of any psu you will see in a OEM system. There is no incentive whatsoever for a OEM to underrate a PSU because the average user doesn't give a crap one way or the other. Therefore the best option for the OEM is to use the minimum output of psu they can get away with because anything else is a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom