Good SSD and bad HDD vs one good HDD

Geoman37

Baseband Member
Seeing as I am building a new system soon I was looking around the house for any old parts when I found the set top box that my ISP sent me trying to get me to sign up to their TV service. Anyway after quickly disassembling it there was a shiny and unused Western Digital 1600AVBB sitting in the middle of it. Cutting to the chase, as I only have £40 to spend on storage, should I pair the 1600AVBB with a Sandisk 64gb 6gb/s SSD (for 224 gb) or just a WD blue 500gb (for 564 gb). I know everyone will instantly say SSD but hear me out. I (it might just be me) can not find anything on the speed of the 1600AVBB. Seeing as I think my main games (Battlefield and loads of valve games (including all the expansions)) and windows will take up the SSD I fear any other games will load way to slow on the old HDD.

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance.

What I'm getting from Google is that drive is an IDE drive in which case my automatic response is going to be, get a modern SATA drive.

64GB is good enough for basic small programs and your OS and that's about it. It leaves very little room for any games, especially modern ones like Battlefield which are 30GB and higher. If this was 4 years ago I would say different, but these days I say get at least a 120GB unless you already have a fast data HDD. That being said, there aren't many games that properly take advantage of the speed increase an SSD brings. If you're playing BF4, it actually runs quite well off a HDD compared to BF3 leaving the only game I've seen take advantage of an SSD being Skyrim.

Fair enough. Forgot to mention that ultimately I would get a good HDD and then just use the old HDD for work, music and films ect. So your thinking get the good HDD first the. The SSD later? Suppose SSDs are only getting cheaper as well.

Back
Top Bottom