Good SLI mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
My current system specs are in my signature. I just ordered my eVGA 8800GT from newegg because I bought both CoD4 and Crysis and I'm ready to play them. I've been planning this for a while and now that it's time for me to buy my DX10 card, I'm wondering if I need 2 to suit my needs *see below*.

So, I'm considering selling my current motherboard so I can buy an SLI one. I know the 8800GT preforms great, but with my 24" monitor and my desire to play high resolution (1900x1200, maybe 1680x1050, and 1440x900 is getting small for me) with good settings (med-high), it seems SLI is in my interest. But, before I go off and purchase a 2nd 8800GT, I want to find a good motherboard to handle both cards AND will be able to OC my Q6600 G0 back to 3.4GHz. Any suggestions?

Also, is my power supply efficient for this? I know wattage doesn't correlate to what is necessary, amps, but I don't know how many amps I need for SLI. Here is the link to it my PSU:
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 115 - 240V - Retail

The best SLI mothertboard that I know of is the Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680i , though it's pretty expensive. The MSI P6N Diamond nForce 680i is also really good, and it's a bit cheaper than the Striker Extreme.

The Striker Extreme is by no means what I'm looking for. That's complete over kill. I need a good budget SLI mobo that'll allow me to OC like I am now.

Buy.com - EVGA nForce 680i SLI Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard - 122-CK-NF68-A1
Awesome board. So far ive been able to overclock my quad to 3.8ghz and actually make it through a 3dmark06 run.

We seem to keep mirroring our systems. I remember back when I first built this and you OC'd further than me with a lower volt.
I completely concur with you about an OC not having to be "Orthos approved" cause I dropped mine from 1.37v to 1.35v and no crashes playing WoW, CoD4 and Crysis yet. So, if you did well with that eVGA 680i I just might get it as well so I can copy you furthermore :p as if getting the 2nd 8800GT wouldn't have been enough.

Also, my original intent behind purchasing the 8800GT was so I could play CoD4 and Cyris NOW. What I mean by that is when the G92's come out, I planned on using the eVGA step-up program to purchase it which is why I waited so long so my 90 day time period stretches to mid February which is further than the latest estimate of the release that I've heard of being mid January 2008.
I digress. What I want to know is if anyone knows from experience if I could trade both of my cards in for 1 new one? I guess these scenarios below sum up my question as to what could happen better:
Scenario A: Trade both 8800GT's in for one 9800GTX (or whatever it will be)
Scenario B: Trade in each 8800GT for two 9800GTX's

Because if I can't do Scenario A, I might just hold off on a 2nd 8800GT because the G92 should be awesome enough to handle the games at high res and setting on my 24" screen.

edit:
Also, no comment about my PSU? Are the amps and/or 12V rails enough for SLI?

Ya yer psu is plenty, I'm running my full set up on a 520hx. Which is basically identical to yours except it only has 3 12v rails @ 18A whereas the one you have has 4 12v rails @18A.

Heh as far as the step up program goes, im currently int he process of stepping my gts 320 up to a third Gt which will be ebay'd. For the price i got my GT cards i will be better off just buying the next gen card ans elling them rather than trying to step them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom