Good size power supply for i7 920?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't go with Intel, personally. If you want a much faster processor, go with AMD. They have a 2.8GHz six core processor for $199.99 on Newegg and a 3.2GHz six core processor for $295.99 on Newegg.

Also, according to newegg, they use fewer watts than the Intel i7 processors, too, even the one you said you were getting. However, if you are getting an AMD processor, it is likely you will have to find a different motherboard if the motherboard you have in mind is not compatible with AMD processors.

i loled...

Intel has much better performance, however, you are correct if you ment to say that AMD cpus have the best bang for your buck, but if you want the top dog machine, you would want to go with intel

How does that even...

The AMD has an equal clock speed of some of those, and more cores... so... how... that doesn't even... *brain explodes*

thats like saying, " my pentium 4 is clocked faster than that pos quad core at 3.4ghz, so my pentium 4 is faster right? " < a bit extreme and rediculous, but im just prooving a point.

Intels i7 920 quad core processor is faster than AMDs fastest six core processor.. i dont really know why, but thats just the way it works.

i loled...

Intel has much better performance, however, you are correct if you ment to say that AMD cpus have the best bang for your buck, but if you want the top dog machine, you would want to go with intel

thats like saying, " my pentium 4 is clocked faster than that pos quad core at 3.4ghz, so my pentium 4 is faster right? " < a bit extreme and rediculous, but im just prooving a point.

Intels i7 920 quad core processor is faster than AMDs fastest six core processor.. i dont really know why, but thats just the way it works.
:/
Is it possible that they didn't have the BIOS on the correct settings when they tested the Phenom II x6? I've heard a lot of problems about it not working well when you don't have the right BIOS... A lot of people had to flash the BIOS to get it working well. Before flashing it was running at 800Mhz per core...

Though I'm not sure if that's what's going on. People testing that would probably know if the BIOS was the right version, right?

all the cpus there were running at stock speeds, so there were no settings they changed in the bios.

you have to look past the number of cores and clock speeds when comparing cpus.

I am an AMD guy, but the i7's are flat out faster than AMD's stuff right now. AMD kicked Intel bad back in the Athlon XP days and that continued on until Intel finally was able to get the Core2Duo line out. The C2D's were slightly faster to start with, but that gap grew quickly because of Intel pouring almost limitless cash into research. I doubt Intel will ever sit back and coast like they did back then again.

AMD chips are not slow by any means. While the i7's may be faster they are also much more expensive, both for the CPU and for the mobos. Both AM3 boards and all current Intel boards use DDR3, but AMD AM2 and AM2+ boards (and AM2/AM2+/AM3) use DDR2, and AM3 chips are backwards compatible with AM2+ and AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards. This sets AMD up as a killer budget build.

The days of the MHz/GHz wars are over. That was the only way the P4's could compete with AMD back then. Today clock speeds are only useful for comparing chips from the same family/cores, nothing more.

this is getting pretty interesting, are there any cpu benchmark tests aside from passmark that have the 920 vs the amd 6 cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom