Is this a good rig?

Supreme777

Beta member
Building a new system for the first time in like 10 years so I'm kinda out of the loop on everything. This is my list of stuff that I'm thinking about using for the build. Please give me opinions and let me know if anything should be changed. Thanks! could really use some input.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

GIGABYTE GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory

EVGA supernova 750w Power Supply

SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series MZ-75E120B/AM 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache
SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm

I would personally change the board to an ASRock Z97 Extreme6, change the RAM to less expensive 1600MHz brand/modules (I love Corsair, but **** their prices even when you have the budget), I would switch the GPU brand to eVGA (customer service is #1), PSU is great but personal preference pushes me in the direction of Corsair or Seasonic, I would beef up the SSD to a 250 and go M.2 in the ASRock board, and throw away the ****ty Raptor and get a bigger 1TB HGST or WD drive.

H100i is good, but run the fans on low.

Edit: Also, I highly highly recommend the reference style cooler.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Difference in clock speed, and ACX vs their own style "reference" blower.

By reference, I literally mean the official Nvidia reference design.
EVGA 04G-2980-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 - Newegg.com

That is the one I purchased and it's a beast. Even Linus made a video on reference vs nonreference and it's in favor of reference for less heat soak to other components. It's a little more but well worth it IMO.
If you want more worded opinions on why I chose what I said I can do that too.

Difference in clock speed, and ACX vs their own style "reference" blower.

By reference, I literally mean the official Nvidia reference design.
EVGA 04G-2980-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 - Newegg.com

That is the one I purchased and it's a beast. Even Linus made a video on reference vs nonreference and it's in favor of reference for less heat soak to other components. It's a little more but well worth it IMO.
If you want more worded opinions on why I chose what I said I can do that too.

Same card i have and it is amazing. Runs cool quit and eats everything i have thrown at it so far.

Same card i have and it is amazing. Runs cool quit and eats everything i have thrown at it so far.
Did the heft of the card throw you off? I took it out of the box and then picked it up out of the plastic and was like damn this thing is a manly card. So damn manly. Heavier than my FTW+ 680.

Did the heft of the card throw you off? I took it out of the box and then picked it up out of the plastic and was like damn this thing is a manly card. So damn manly. Heavier than my FTW+ 680.

Honestly i was in such a state of nervous anticipation when i was handling it i didn't pay much attention. I felt like a surgeon performing a heart transplant i was being so slow and methodical.

Back
Top Bottom