Good RAM Timings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Now, I see lots of people bragging/telling others about their timings, and was wondering what are good, I assume lower numbers...!

But anyway, mine are:

2.5-4-4-8.

Hows that? I assume average/low end as my RAM wasn't the most incredible, but I'd still like to know!

Thanks a lot for replies,

Charlie -

I never understood ram timings either, so if any can explain to us how it works and what we should be looking for that would be grand.

leeslangley said:
I never understood ram timings either, so if any can explain to us how it works and what we should be looking for that would be grand.

Read the article I included above. It will be very helpful. Don't be set off because it deals with P4 systems...AMD chips, RAM and Bios issues are the same(very similar).

"Not all RAM can run at the tightest/best timing of 2-2-2-5. Generally, high-quality lower speed RAM like DDR400 will have tighter timings, while most DDR500 RAM have loose/relaxed timings (usually 3-4-4-8)."
i'm quoting this from the article... I thought DDR500 was better than DDR400... am i confused? let me restate that cuz i am confused, lol, am i wrong? i may just be miss reading.

DDR500 is better because it runs at a faster default speed (250) rather then DDR400 (200) timings dont make much of a difference just know the tighter the better....

DDR500 is better because it runs at a faster default speed (250) rather then DDR400 (200) timings dont make much of a difference just know the tighter the better....
yeeeah somebody here finally has the right idea. RAM timings are just time allocations for a memory read/write process to occur...the latency isn't really significant at all in terms of bandwidth, BUT it does have effects in creating higher stable clock speeds with relaxed timings

So basically DDR400 at 2-2-2-5 and 3-3-3-8 aren't really gonna see much of a difference, but of course say DDR500 at 3-3-3-8 would be significantly faster than 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 speeds...timings should only matter if you want decent overclocking potential

My old BH-5 ram did 1.5-2-2-2 (yes, 1.5-2-2-2) at DDR500 speed with 3.8V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom