Good place to buy SATA cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miston

Baseband Member
need some SATA cables, and can't really find a place that has the various lengths that I'm looking for

Also, I see that some are SATA and some are SATA2 cables, is there really a difference?

And I would assume that SATA2 are backward compatible with SATA1, so shouldn't I go ahead and get SATA2 cables since my board is SATA2?

thanks!

Yes, there is a difference. SATA2 is the next generation of SATA. I haven't not had a chance to fully examine the new format, but from what I've seen, the cables aren't the same.

You can get SATA cables from just about anywhere now-adays, but different lengths? Not sure. They're all pretty much the same length. The ones I have are like 2 feet, and that's more than enough for a big tower case. There may be some loss issues with longer SATA cables, since I haven't seen any.

newegg has a smattering of them. I shopped and got like an 8 inch one, but they have ones that are way longer. I don't see why any one would need one longer than about 8 inches. The hard drive bays are right next to where the SATA ports are on the motherboard.

Ryan

exactly, that why I can't find the cables I want

who the **** needs two feet? that's ludicrous My OCZ SLI ready power supply already has a million feet of wires sticking out, I sure don't need anymore!

ShoobieRat said:
Yes, there is a difference. SATA2 is the next generation of SATA. I haven't not had a chance to fully examine the new format, but from what I've seen, the cables aren't the same.

No, the connectors are exactly the same. My question was that some vendors are advertising SATA2 cables. Is there really a different spec (not different connectors but say different specs on the shielding, twisting, etc. to make sure one achieves the FULL SATA2 speed). I don't think there is a difference, but I haven't really checked into it.

You can get SATA cables from just about anywhere now-adays, but different lengths? Not sure. They're all pretty much the same length. The ones I have are like 2 feet, and that's more than enough for a big tower case. There may be some loss issues with longer SATA cables, since I haven't seen any.

No, you can get lengths anywhere from 6 inches to 1 meter+. I just coulnd't find a site that offered numerous different lengths, they just had say 10 inch and 24 inch, or 15 inch and 18 inch, etc.

I found what i needed at my NEW local store.

Best buy wanted me to pay $20 bucks for one cable! :lol

20 bucks for a cable? wow, for small stuff its always better to buy em at lil local/online shops. Im in san jose CA so PTS is close to me, thats where i get most of my small stuff. The actual hardware i usually go to Newegg.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
I don't see why any one would need one longer than about 8 inches. The hard drive bays are right next to where the SATA ports are on the motherboard.

Ryan

To explain why someone would need longer then 8":

I"m using 18" SATA cables, because my Drive Cage is in the bottom of my Antec P180 case. And the way I routed my cables, 18" was prefect.

PC's are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom