Good Phenom II mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesirecat1701

Running on empty.
Yes I am tired of starting threads, lol

I'm very well considering upgrading my current 5600+ for the new AM2+ Phenom II 940, my concern is if my motherboard will even

1) support it

and

2) be able to push a decent (~3.5 GHz) overclock from it.

It this one Newegg.com - ECS GF8200A (V1.0) AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I have tried and failed many overclock attempts on this board with a 5000+ BE, I've have seen plenty of other 5000+ BE CPU's pushed to 3.1 GHz easily on stock volts. any little push on the multi and i get blue screened.

I've also tried my 5600 and even the smallest push on the bus and it crashes.

I would very gladly flash the BIOS to the new one but in light of ECS's stupid design I can only flash it with a floppy disc BUT some how ECS ****ing forgot to put a floppy drive connector on the mobo!!! :eek:

????

Anyways, I don't wanna fork out near $300 for a CPU then not be able to push it, so any thoughts on my current board if terms of supporting the 940?

I am considering a new mobo but I would like to see what the people here have to say about the best deals out there, keeping in mind I don't want to push the budget too high to where I could just go i7.

I'd appreciate any help.

Well I'm off to bed...

Your motherboard has a floppy drive connector on it. It's right beside the pci slots on the edge of the board.

As of right now, your current board doesn't seem to have a new bios support for Phenom II yet.

Yes I am tired of starting threads, lol

I'm very well considering upgrading my current 5600+ for the new AM2+ Phenom II 940, my concern is if my motherboard will even

1) support it

and

2) be able to push a decent (~3.5 GHz) overclock from it.

It this one Newegg.com - ECS GF8200A (V1.0) AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I have tried and failed many overclock attempts on this board with a 5000+ BE, I've have seen plenty of other 5000+ BE CPU's pushed to 3.1 GHz easily on stock volts. any little push on the multi and i get blue screened.

I've also tried my 5600 and even the smallest push on the bus and it crashes.

I would very gladly flash the BIOS to the new one but in light of ECS's stupid design I can only flash it with a floppy disc BUT some how ECS ****ing forgot to put a floppy drive connector on the mobo!!! :eek:

????

Anyways, I don't wanna fork out near $300 for a CPU then not be able to push it, so any thoughts on my current board if terms of supporting the 940?

I am considering a new mobo but I would like to see what the people here have to say about the best deals out there, keeping in mind I don't want to push the budget too high to where I could just go i7.

I'd appreciate any help.

Well I'm off to bed...

mine works fine for the phenom II
cntdown2extn uses Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 for his
and wildside uses MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX SB600 AM2+
for his

3 boards what work good for it.

mine works fine for the phenom II
cntdown2extn uses Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 for his
and wildside uses MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX SB600 AM2+
for his

3 boards what work good for it.

my mobo is very good. Good OCing, though has SB600 n not SB750, still waiting for one from MSI because i need extra SATA ports. DFI and ASUS only have 3 SATA ports and im using three SATA ports.

LMAo i can't believe i missed that, I have a USB HUB in that PCI slot and it blocks the view along with the 120 that sit right in that line of site, I remember asking ECS though and they had said they had phased out having a floppy drive connector on the black series, guess i took them for granted.

And thanks to maroon1 for sending me the pm with the link to the intel price drops, hopefully AMD will counter with a drop in the Phenom II series so it will be a great deal. I know the 9950 will work on my board so the 95 w TDP cap on my mobo doesn't seem to stop the bigger phenom from working, just hoping ECS does give me a new BIOS update soon.

well i flashed my BIOS and this board still has issues, it still runs cool but is very picky about voltages, I guess the best thing to do is wait for the Intel price drops and see how AMD responds and that'll determine whether or not a CPU upgrade with this board to a X4 940 is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom