Is this a good MOBO setup for media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trial&error

Beta member
I currently have these components left from a failed project of old parts and upgrades. Kingston KVR400 1GR x 2; GeForce FX 5500, 128MB; 1TB WD10EARS; Antec EA-650W; View Panel monitor VE170; Windows 7 OS; generic case (about 10" x 11" space for MOBO) and optical drive.

Basically I am looking for decent performance the ability to upgrade later on to a much better graphics card. I'd prefer DDR2 over 3. I don't know any thing about overclocking but I don't game so its no issue. I want to use it as a media machine only and maybe very light gaming (ie mahjong or solitaire, haha). I appreciate your suggestions... oh and my budget is 250 tops but lower yet equally functional is preferred.

The set ups I was suggested on another forum were as follows

-low cost system look at AMD Alton X2 for CPU with any MOBO which will support your CPU, you will need AM2+ socket. For memory for this will be DDR2 or DDR3. Replace outdated video card any higher than 9xxx in GeForce or ATI 5xxx. The motherboard needs to be mini-ATIx to fix in your case.

-if the GC is not agp, i would go for an asus board with amd chip + amd dual core athlon and 2gb kit from corsair (ddr2-800). If the card IS agp and not pci-x, its a bit of a prob since u would need a new one, unless u get a board that comes with an onboard chip

Please let me know which if either I would be better off going with or if you can think of a better set up I would love to hear it. I looked through the what do I buy forums/stickies but am not sure where to start for a low priced decent quality media computer as oppose to a gaming machine. Any suggestions or links welcome. Thanks guys, I know you'll come back with something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom