A good machine to run a large minecraft server on?OR Can i buy a minecrat server (not pay monthly)? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default A good machine to run a large minecraft server on?OR Can i buy a minecrat server (not pay monthly)?

Soon, in a few months or so, i will be creating a minecraft server that i know for a fact will ave many players. I was wondering if i can buy a machine/computer tht would run the server efficiently. all the computer has to do is run the server with enough memory for maybe a max of 300 slots. Thats all the computer/machine will be doing, no microsoft word, no nothing. Just the server.

Is it possible for me to BUY, not pay monthly, a minecraft server? I believe it would be called VPS or something? Please answer, and if i worded anything wrong, tell me and ill add additional details.

PS the machine would have to run the server 24/7

Thx in Advance

Also, don't just say that you can just download a server start from the site (minecraft.net) cuz i need something powerful enough to handle 300 player slots (give or take a few)

Heres a little info that i thought might help.

[100mb = 1 player
so, if 1gb (dnt worry about the 24mb left over) holds 10 players
then 30gb would hold 300 players (slots)]

Hope this helps

(ive posted this on yahoo and got idiotic responses. I hope tech forums isnt the same)

JackOfSpades11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: A good machine to run a large minecraft server on?OR Can i buy a minecrat server (not pay monthly)?

First question... What kind of internet connection will you be working with? Upstream bandwidth matters just as much as the computer it's running on.

As a comparison, I host a ~6 player server on Mint Linux command line only, 1GB RAM, 3Ghz Core 2 Duo and an old hard drive I had laying around. I notice lag, which I'm assuming is because of the hard drive.

So I'd recommend nothing less than a higher end Core i7 and at least 24GB RAM and if possible.. a large solid state drive.

The only MC servers I know of are rentals
2600k 16GB RAM 120GB SSD 4TB HDD GTX 1080
15" Retina MBP || 64GB Nexus 6P || 64GB iPad Air 2
Steel Band Huawei Watch || Sony RX100 IV Camera
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is online now   Reply With Quote