good gaming PC? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 142
Default good gaming PC?

Is this a good gaming rig?

Processor: Intel Core2Duo Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 PC-6400 Memory
HDD: 1 TB (1000GB) SATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive: LG CD/DVD-RW Drive (CD/DVD Burner)
Motherboard: ASRock G31M-S
PSU: 484W Power Supply
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 1GB GDDR2

5.1CH Premium Level HD Audio Sound
6 x USB, Serial Port, PS/2, Ethernet
1 x PCI-E, 2 x PCI

Includes power cord
__________________

deathville is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
matt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 119
Default Re: good gaming PC?

oh.
gaming pc atleast requires 800w more for PSU. then only you avoid overclocking.
i suggest Optical drive use samsung DVD RW.
you must add extra cooling fan this provide your processor and hdd work good and keep in cool.
__________________

matt123 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,958
Send a message via AIM to Burn
Default Re: good gaming PC?

What games do you plan on playing?

Typically, no, that would not be a good rig for gaming.
__________________
EVGA E758 A1 | Core i7 920 @ 4ghz | 6GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Gold | XFX 6870 CF | Corsair TX850 | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Water Cooled
Burn is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
joelm3103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: -Trinidad- and Tobago, Caribbean.
Posts: 1,750
Default Re: good gaming PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathville View Post
Is this a good gaming rig?

Processor: Intel Core2Duo Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 PC-6400 Memory
HDD: 1 TB (1000GB) SATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive: LG CD/DVD-RW Drive (CD/DVD Burner)
Motherboard: ASRock G31M-S
PSU: 484W Power Supply
Video: Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 1GB GDDR2

5.1CH Premium Level HD Audio Sound
6 x USB, Serial Port, PS/2, Ethernet
1 x PCI-E, 2 x PCI

Includes power cord
Those 2 highlighted items are the only ones in the list I think needs checking over and upgraded. Everything else looks ok to me .
joelm3103 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Equator Gringo
 
james.wired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Panama
Posts: 2,318
Default Re: good gaming PC?

^ Yes, but also switch out the 9400GT for at least a 9800GT or 4850. At least.

The problem with going socket 775 is that it's old technology, and for about the same price you can go with newer tech for future upgrade safety like socket 1156. And a DX11 GPU which are plentiful in various price ranges.
__________________

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
james.wired is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 142
Default Re: good gaming PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
oh.
gaming pc atleast requires 800w more for PSU. then only you avoid overclocking.
i suggest Optical drive use samsung DVD RW.
you must add extra cooling fan this provide your processor and hdd work good and keep in cool.
Why is a greater power supply necessary? What does that do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
What games do you plan on playing?

Typically, no, that would not be a good rig for gaming.
Newer ones, Like Fallout3, Dragon Age Origins, Crysis etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm3103 View Post
Those 2 highlighted items are the only ones in the list I think needs checking over and upgraded. Everything else looks ok to me .
What is wrong with the motherboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.wired View Post
^ Yes, but also switch out the 9400GT for at least a 9800GT or 4850. At least.

The problem with going socket 775 is that it's old technology, and for about the same price you can go with newer tech for future upgrade safety like socket 1156. And a DX11 GPU which are plentiful in various price ranges.
I'm getting an offer on this used graphics card for $50. Is it good?

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO graphics card - 384MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0
deathville is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 142
Default Re: good gaming PC?

Or what about this computer?

"Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz (4MB L2, 1333 FSB)
8 GB DDR2 800 RAM (Memory)
640GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
CD/DVD-RW Burner
Nvidia GT120 1GB Video Adapter w/ HDMI Output
Built-in TV Tuner with multiple inputs

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit (English)

FREE Upgrade to Windows 7

Includes remote controller
Includes keyboard, mouse and speakers
Includes power cord
1 YR Limited Manufacturer Warranty"

Full link Gateway Intel Quad Core Tower LX6810-01
deathville is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
joelm3103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: -Trinidad- and Tobago, Caribbean.
Posts: 1,750
Default Re: good gaming PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.wired View Post
^ Yes, but also switch out the 9400GT for at least a 9800GT or 4850. At least.

The problem with going socket 775 is that it's old technology, and for about the same price you can go with newer tech for future upgrade safety like socket 1156. And a DX11 GPU which are plentiful in various price ranges.
Your motherboard looks good, only fault I can pick out is what james.wired said above ^. Also if your going for a gaming rig, best you get the latest in the market which is a board supporting DDR3 RAM. This may help you avoid upgrading for a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathville View Post
Why is a greater power supply necessary? What does that do?
If your PC doesn't have the required power to push your parts, it will end up overheating or the parts will run slowly or worst case scenario may fail to work as the power consumption is too great to how much it actually pushes.
...
What is wrong with the motherboard?
Read above.

...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathville View Post
Or what about this computer?

"Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz (4MB L2, 1333 FSB)
8 GB DDR2 800 RAM (Memory)
640GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
CD/DVD-RW Burner
Nvidia GT120 1GB Video Adapter w/ HDMI Output
Built-in TV Tuner with multiple inputs

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit (English)

FREE Upgrade to Windows 7

Includes remote controller
Includes keyboard, mouse and speakers
Includes power cord
1 YR Limited Manufacturer Warranty"

Full link Gateway Intel Quad Core Tower LX6810-01
Seems like the better computer in my eyes, but if your building your pc...just upgrade the few parts and your set. Might even come out cheaper or equal to the Gateway performance wise, but more worth while comparing $/part.
__________________
Need to update my siggy!
joelm3103 is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 142
Default Re: good gaming PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm3103 View Post
Your motherboard looks good, only fault I can pick out is what james.wired said above ^. Also if your going for a gaming rig, best you get the latest in the market which is a board supporting DDR3 RAM. This may help you avoid upgrading for a few years.




Seems like the better computer in my eyes, but if your building your pc...just upgrade the few parts and your set. Might even come out cheaper or equal to the Gateway performance wise, but more worth while comparing $/part.
The gateway one's only $500 though, including Windows 7 OS. Though there's no motherboard/power supply info supplied, which makes me a bit questioning towards it. I'll call em up tomorrow and find those out.
deathville is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
joelm3103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: -Trinidad- and Tobago, Caribbean.
Posts: 1,750
Default Re: good gaming PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathville View Post
The gateway one's only $500 though, including Windows 7 OS. Though there's no motherboard/power supply info supplied, which makes me a bit questioning towards it. I'll call em up tomorrow and find those out.
Ah ok . Good luck with your gaming rig . I still need to build mine , just need sometime to research though lol.
__________________

__________________
Need to update my siggy!
joelm3103 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is this a good gaming computer? Buccfan113 New Systems | Building and Buying 4 12-12-2009 05:14 PM
I'd like a good gaming PC... I don't have lots of cash thebigdipper New Systems | Building and Buying 10 10-22-2009 06:50 PM
Anyone here with a good gaming rig? pinoy3000 New Systems | Building and Buying 46 03-31-2009 10:33 AM
Looking for good mid level gaming rig kit. Mr. LL System Upgrades 3 03-07-2009 11:32 AM
Build me as good of a gaming PC as possible Amidamaru New Systems | Building and Buying 20 07-21-2007 01:14 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.