Good gaming computer for 700 dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789567 said:
The problem with that is...
No L3 cache?
Worse gaming performance than a Phenom II X2.
Where as a Phenom II X3 720 for multi threaded apps/multi threaded games will out perform a Phenom II X2 555.

It's strictly a matter of, do you want three cores with the possibility of unlocking to four?
Do you want two cores with the possibility of unlocking to four?

Do you want two cores and possibly* 200Mhz higher, though there's no guarantee* pending batch #'s and various other factors. (The 200Mhz probably won't matter that much.)

Or do you want 4 cores, and no L3 cache so your gaming will be slightly gimped?
Psh...
I think the Athlon idea is probably out, as a Phenom II X2 is a better gaming buy over that, though I wouldn't write off the Phenom II x3 720...
Such a good performer for the money, + you're guaranteed those 3 cores...
Phenom II X2 555? Guaranteed 2 cores.
Regardless of how much it clocks.
2 cores. *Possibly 4
But the same can be said for the Phenom II X3 720.
3 cores. *Possibly 4

If you buy a X2 555 and it doesn't unlock that leaves you with a nearly obsolete cpu. Sure it beats the 630 in games that don't support quads but as time goes on those will become rarer and rarer. The x3 720 is a better choice since it will also benefit from more multithreaded games but I would expect the 630 to outperform it as well in the future. Basically this whole argument comes down to the old dual vs quad debate.

The only dual core processor I would even consider spending $100 or more on is the Core i3 530 which absolutely wipes the floor with the PII x2 555, particularly when overclocked.

If you buy a X2 555 and it doesn't unlock that leaves you with a nearly obsolete cpu. Sure it beats the 630 in games that don't support quads but as time goes on those will become rarer and rarer. The x3 720 is a better choice since it will also benefit from more multithreaded games but I would expect the 630 to outperform it as well in the future. Basically this whole argument comes down to the old dual vs quad debate.

The only dual core processor I would even consider spending $100 or more on is the Core i3 530 which absolutely wipes the floor with the PII x2 555, particularly when overclocked.

"Futureproofing" is a fool's game

Though you may be right?
Benchmark Results: 3DMark, 3D Games : AMD Athlon II X4 620: Quad Core For The Masses At $100

Take a look at the Grand Theft Auto results

I have a feeling the Phenom II X3 720 probably is on level playing field with the Athlon II X4's though, it's a shame they didn't include one in the benchmark.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789567 said:
Where as a Phenom II X3 720 for multi threaded apps/multi threaded games will out perform a Phenom II X2 555.
It won't outperform an unlocked one.
And there's also the fact that C3 chips clock higher.

With the probability of it unlocking being quite high, it means that most of the X2 555's will be better than most of the X3 720's.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789597 said:
"Futureproofing" is a fool's game

Though you may be right?
Benchmark Results: 3DMark, 3D Games : AMD Athlon II X4 620: Quad Core For The Masses At $100

Take a look at the Grand Theft Auto results

I have a feeling the Phenom II X3 720 probably is on level playing field with the Athlon II X4's though, it's a shame they didn't include one in the benchmark.

The PII x3 720 does fit nicely between the 630 and 555 so I can see the appeal of going with it. You get better performance in games now while still getting an extra core which will be more beneficial down the road.

If it unlocks and that unlock doesn't impact it's overclocking ability. Even if the C3's do clock 200mh higher on average that would still leave a X2 555 at a significant clock for clock performance disadvantage and likely a small clock speed disadvantage to the i3

With the probability of it unlocking being quite high, it means that most of the X2 555's will be better than most of the X3 720's.

"Most"
You're one of those people that see unlocking as a feature.
NOT ALL OF THEM CAN UNLOCK.
IT'S VERY EASY TO BUY ONE THAT CAN'T.
I've had one.
I wished I had bought an X3 afterwards, but you know hindsight is 20/20

To counter your statement.
A Phenom II X3 won't outperform an unlocked Phenom II X2 555, however...
A Phenom II X2 555 that can't unlock won't touch a STOCK Phenom II X3, let alone a Phenom II X3 that CAN unlock.

Stick with what's guaranteed Dhurniok, don't chance your buy, it's probably not worth it.
3 cores on the CPU you buy are worth 4 in the "possibility" realm

If it unlocks and that unlock doesn't impact it's overclocking ability. Even if the C3's do clock 200mh higher on average that would still leave a X2 555 at a significant clock for clock performance disadvantage and likely a small clock speed disadvantage to the i3
The i3 doesn't unlock into 4 cores. And socket AM3 has a better upgrade path.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789611 said:
"Most"
You're one of those people that see unlocking as a feature.
NOT ALL OF THEM CAN UNLOCK.
IT'S VERY EASY TO BUY ONE THAT CAN'T.
Mathematically it's better to get the X2 555, because most of them are better than the X3 720's. They overclock higher and most of them unlock.
A small percentage don't unlock, which gives a small percentage probability of the X3 720 being better.

I'm not sure what the exact figure would be, but it's probably close to 80% successful unlocks.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789611 said:
To counter your statement.
A Phenom II X3 won't outperform an unlocked Phenom II X2 555, however...
A Phenom II X2 555 that can't unlock won't touch a STOCK Phenom II X3, let alone a Phenom II X3 that CAN unlock.
Only in multithreaded apps.
The 555 is C3 stepping, which overclocks higher.

How does an unlocked X2 555 have a clocl for clock disadvantage?

You are still assuming it unlocks. IMO buying a cpu based off an unlock you may or may not be bale to get is a recipe for disappointment. I agree with orihS ‪‪‪Shiro, go with something that's guaranteed to work.

You are still assuming it unlocks. IMO buying a cpu based off an unlock you may or may not be bale to get is a recipe for disappointment. I agree with orihS ‪‪‪Shiro, stick with what's guaranteed to work.
Logic dictates that you're more likely to get a better chip if you get an X2 555.

Again, not sure on the exact figure, but probably about 80% unlock successfully.
Which means only about 20% of the time, the X3 720 would be better.

Logic dictates that you're more likely to get a better chip if you get an X2 555.

If you are willing to take the very real risk of being stuck with a dual core. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk if I was building a system and I'm not going to recommend something I wouldn't be willing to do myself.

If you are willing to take the very real risk of being stuck with a dual core. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk if I was building a system and I'm not going to recommend something I wouldn't be willing to do myself.
something like 20% probability of it not being as good in multithreaded performance vs a 720 (but better in single threaded because it clocks higher).
Mathematically it doesn't make sense to take that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom