Is this a good deal on an 8core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theheresy

Solid State Member
Hi guys..not sure if this is a PC only board (i.e. no Macs) but since the question I'm asking is specifically about the INTEL CPU I figured it would be ok...

I have the choice of a macpro 8core 2.8ghz for $2000 (just the tower 2gb ram, HD, some software etc)

or macpro 8core 2.2ghz for 2300 but with 6gb ram, 2 hard drives (one of which is 10k rpm raptor for the OS)

is 2.8ghz that much of abig improvement over 2.2ghz...will I notice an improvement in these Xenon chips for hardcore music production type applications?

The other thing is that 2300$ 2.2ghz 8core is 2009 version the 2000$ 2.8ghz is about 1.5 years old though it is macpro 3.1 (not sure what 3.xx the 2009 version is)

Which one is the better deal?

Which chip is the 2.8? is it the powerpc one?

If yes, then the intel will smoke it. The 300 extrsa bucks and the 10k drive anbd 4 more gig of ram, is wel worth it.

Which chip is the 2.8? is it the powerpc one?

If yes, then the intel will smoke it. The 300 extrsa bucks and the 10k drive anbd 4 more gig of ram, is wel worth it.

Hmm..very interesting point you bring up..I assumed it was xenon/nehalem or whatever the heck is in those things. The 2.8ghz one is roughly 1.5 years old according to the seller, it's a macpro 3.1 which I assumed were the newest macpros. Any idea how I can find out which chip is in those because I just tried to look it up on google to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom