Good bye AMD.. hello Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almightyobo

In Runtime
My birthday is at the end of March as well as tax returns =D so Ive decided to basically re build my computer and go with Intel. I will be upgrading from the rig in my sig. Heres what I have in mind:

EDIT - Now I just need help choosing a MOBO

what would be the best for someone relatively new to OCing but I wanna get my Q6600 as high as possible (running w/ a TRUE)

ram....what are you planning this system for?
if other than gaming, and based on mobo...
for example: mobo with 4 slots, get 2x2 now so that you can opt for 2 more chips later
if just gaming and never wanting to do more, you could opt to fill up all banks

personally, to me, no advantage in 4x1 in this scenario. Other than maybe getting the chips cheaper.

This is based on you getting 64bit and having potential use of up to 128g

I use it for gaming most of all. I also use it for some graphic design (Photoshop CS3, Illustrator, InDesign) and the rest is every day stuff, music, movies, net surfing, school work

But I plan on learning how to OC on this among other things, theres still so much I have/want to learn

EDIT - Oh and about the RAM, what I really wanted to know is if there is a performance difference in having 2x 2G or 4x 1G. Like if one overclocks better than the other, thats just what I was wondering. And which kind to get. I more than likely wont go beyond 4G, too much overkill for me

Also since I am new to OCing Id like a board with an easy to use BIOS to make learning a bit easier

My local Microcenter now has $250 as their list price on the flyer... seems the $200 deal expired... I didn't actually buy one, but the associate I asked did say the $200 still worked...

since i'm avoiding clogging my noggin with info I don't currently want ;)

I found this for you...froma tomshardware forum post:
---
A good P35 board like the DS3L will serve you well until Intel releases their next line of processors (Nehalem) early next year which will require a new socket.

PCIe 2.0 shouldn't be necessary before you will need a new motherboard and processor, so don't worry about that.

X48 is not DDR3 only. In fact, X48 is little more than a glorified X38 rated for higher speeds and better timings.

One last thing, you don't need anything more than DDR2-800, even if you're overclocking. I can show you the math if you want
---

The guy seems informed, others here can refute or back him up :D
forum posting was dated 02/11/08
this was talking about p35/x38/x48 comparisons

and the tomshardware relevant review for you
Crossfire up to 20 Percent Faster : Crossfire meets PCI Express 2.0 – More Lanes, More Frames?

no brand input from me though :D

@ commandercup - even if the deal expires Im still gettin the Q6600, I just hope they still have it for $200 when I go there this weekend

@ atomic tofu - thx for the input

CPU

Q6600 CPU is good.. since soo many have tried overclocking it, it has been known as a dependable overclocking CPU.

Intel smokes AMD in Cooling.. Google it and be amazed... I love AMD but Intel seems to have thrown down the gauntlet on this one.. Q6600 is the ultimate all around cheap CPU.

Good Ram:

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Price: $64.99

CPU Cooler:

An awesome CPU cooler:

THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME CPU COOLER FOR AMD AM2, INTEL LGA775

Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU Cooler for AMD AM2, Intel LGA775

Price: $57.99

Motherboard

DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043&Tpk=dfi%2blanparty%2bp35

Price: $139.99

Very good cheap motherboard that doesn't have Nvidia SLI but who really uses that anyway... two GFX cards will only give about 10-20% of real performance. This Motherboard will support overclocking well.

The link for the RAM I provided you in my last post should be all you need.

I honestly can't really give you a good answer on the Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM... I have not owned this RAM and can't tell you if it is of good quality. It seems to be the same as Crucial Ballistix but with LEDs

From NewEgg

Tracer memory features a black PCB, black integrated heat spreaders and one or two rows of eight "chasing" red and green LEDs atop the module, circulating in a random pattern based on memory utilization

I hope that helps to solve your problem :)

I am currently on Windows Live messenger: Stealth_Tools@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom