Is this a good build???

Obsoulete

Beta member
So I'm going to end up building my first computer in about a month and I need the experts of the computer world to help me make the best decisions. Ive done my share of research when it comes to the components and their capabilities, but I still have doubts. So far this is what I have put together-

Intel i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz----------$220

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard ----------$120

Cooler Master HAF 912----------$60

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB(2x4GH) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC2 12800) Desktop Memory---$50

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W, 80Plus Certified Single 12vRail, Active PFC, Power supply--$60

Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103ST 1TB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache SATA 3.0 Gb/s 3.5 Internal Hard Drive-bare drive--------$100

Asus 24x DVD Burner-OEM----------$10

Nippon Labs Premium 18" (1.5ft) SATA II cable with lotching latch (x2)----------$10

EVGA GeForce GTX 550ti (Fermi) FPB Viceo Card---------$125

Grand Total-------$765 (without OS or monitor)

I am a bit unsure with the graphics card. I'm not sure if I should just go for the gold and upgrade to the 560ti, thing is that iv'e heard that the 550ti runs great and the 560 doesn't make a big difference for the extra $100 extra. Also the monitor I plan on using is an old one that I've had since 2006 and I hope its compatible, if not I'm just going to hook it up to my TV via HDMI.

Hope you guys can give me some concrete feedback and criteria
Thanks for the help

Everything looks good except 2 things.

You don't need the SATA cables, and a big no to that PSU.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. have a look at the details page for that corsair.
Look at the recent reviews this past 6 months, I wouldn't want to have that psu in my computer and have it be shorted unexpectedly... :\

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
This would perform better for it, and yes it has enough power for his intel sandy bridge, corsair is good, but they havent been doing so swell this year.
If he overclocks to hard with the antec, well that'll be another story to talk about later.. :D

Ok way thanks for the tips

Main point is to change the power supply and I was looking more towards Corsair but I'll check out Antec as well.
For the graphics card I think i might go for the 560ti.

Everything looks good except 2 things.

You don't need the SATA cables, and a big no to that PSU.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

As for the video card, the 560ti is worth the extra cash over the 550ti.

But shouldn't I need extra SATA cables since optical drive and the hard drive are OEM/bare Drives?

Corsair PSUs are pretty much top tier when it comes to quality these days.

Ditto. I have 3 of them in my systems for over a year now. No problems since, and they got a nice clean, professional look to them.

Back
Top Bottom