Good build for $1000 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: us
Posts: 1
Default Good build for $1000

So I'm looking to possibly build a new desktop for around $1,000. I wouldn't mind going a bit above that but I'd like to try to keep it near that price range.

I'm still not sure about building my own though, for instance I saw a couple computers on best buy like these:

Asus 16GB Memory 2TB Hard Drive i7 GT640

CybertronPC Shockwave 16GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive AMD FX GT650

Can I really build something better for a similar price?
__________________

Snoozerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
bigdog33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 184
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Building is the way to go, prebuilt desktops sucks. Once u build it, it will blow them 2 desktops away. You plan to be gaming or ?
__________________

bigdog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Those are terrible computers for the money, gaming or no gaming. Unless you're looking at something sub-500 building is always the better way to go.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Those are terrible computers for the money, gaming or no gaming. Unless you're looking at something sub-500 building is always the better way to go.
Is that so mguire, care to get more details on the hardware before you sink the amd machine to the ocean floor ?
The cpu itself isn't bad at all, good case with vents on the side like my aero cool vxe is a plus.
Motherboard and graphics card they don't say much, if its some cheap washup am3+ board nvidia card I 'll agree with you.

Other than that I want and he wants more specs. :/
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTech View Post
Is that so mguire, care to get more details on the hardware before you sink the amd machine to the ocean floor ?
The cpu itself isn't bad at all, good case with vents on the side like my aero cool vxe is a plus.
Motherboard and graphics card they don't say much, if its some cheap washup am3+ board nvidia card I 'll agree with you.

Other than that I want and he wants more specs. :/
You do realize that the top linked machine is an i7, right?

Those PCs are almost a grand and don't have an SSD, good PSU, or a good GPU.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You do realize that the top linked machine is an i7, right?

Those PCs are almost a grand and don't have an SSD, good PSU, or a good GPU.
How many links do we see here again ?

mguire dont make me hurt you. =_=
Yes there is a intel and amd build from looking at both retail machines.
They seem pretty much reasonable for the price tag.
Please remember when you buy online its not coming from a retail store with accurate prices on most hardware in a physical store such as bestbuy.

If you think you can build him a machine just like it I dare you to spend a budget under 700.00 intel or amd build.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

I know you and many other savage young guys love your ssds so well but you wont ever catch me buying one.
Especially with the higher failure rate for most ssds within or before their lifetime. :/

I'll come back with a build and see if he likes it or not.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTech View Post
How many links do we see here again ?

mguire dont make me hurt you. =_=
Yes there is a intel and amd build from looking at both retail machines.
They seem pretty much reasonable for the price tag.
Please remember when you buy online its not coming from a retail store with accurate prices on most hardware in a physical store such as bestbuy.

If you think you can build him a machine just like it I dare you to spend a budget under 700.00 intel or amd build.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

I know you and many other savage young guys love your ssds so well but you wont ever catch me buying one.
Especially with the higher failure rate for most ssds within or before their lifetime. :/

I'll come back with a build and see if he likes it or not.
You're kidding, right? I have built countless machines with good gaming specs SSD or not within a 1000 dollar budget. There is no point though. This guy hasn't come back since he posted. This thread is a waste of time.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You're kidding, right? I have built countless machines with good gaming specs SSD or not within a 1000 dollar budget. There is no point though. This guy hasn't come back since he posted. This thread is a waste of time.
Please shutup and stop your ranting PLEASE.
Just because someone doesn't physically log in here and show their presence doesn't mean they are looking offline K ?

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Cobra ATX-502WTIU Titanium/Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
76.00
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
60.00
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower Classic series TP-650C 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
84.99
Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470 - Newegg.com
190.99
Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory STD Height 30mm Model KVR16N11H/8 - Newegg.com
74.99
Newegg.com - WD Re WD5003ABYZ 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Datacenter Capacity Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
84.99
Without os and GFX card:
569.00
With GFX card windows 7 professional oem:
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P4-2753-KR GeForce GTX 750 Superclocked 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card
136.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OS - Newegg.com
140.00
850.00 with shipping and any taxes neweggs tacks on it

Just incase he didn't buy just yet or is weighing out his options.
I did him a favor which you could have done, all items have a good warrenty on it and brands I prefer mostly.
Other than intel and evga, have a nice night mguire. :|
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,509
Default Re: Good build for $1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTech View Post
Please shutup and stop your ranting PLEASE.
Just because someone doesn't physically log in here and show their presence doesn't mean they are looking offline K ?
Erm... he's not ranting. You're the one that started getting confrontational. Keep it civil, please.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: Good build for $1000

........wut.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good morning! And in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night! b1gapl Off Topic Discussion 11 08-26-2013 02:09 AM
This a good gaming laptop for under $1000? LightingBird Laptops and Notebooks 13 12-27-2007 05:50 PM
Here... A really good system for a sub-1000$ budget veg1992 New Systems | Building and Buying 18 05-27-2007 04:17 AM
Good System for 1000$ Bullet-X2 New Systems | Building and Buying 11 05-27-2006 09:02 PM
GFX Card reading as 300/1000 instead of 500/1000 diabloII Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 0 03-13-2005 03:40 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.