Going to start my first project - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Going to start my first project

I have a very basic understanding of the parts that make up a computer and am wanting to give a shot on making my own personal computer. I'm mainly looking to build a computer that will be perfect for running shooter games in the highest quality with a high fps. Games such as Crysis 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and occasionally some mmorpgs such as WoW.

As I said I have a very basic understanding so I'm still not entirely sure on what kind of parts I should be specifically looking for. I have done some looking around on best buy for a couple of things already to try and get an idea of what I should be looking for.

Motherboard & processor:

Would the motherboard and processor fit my needs of high quality gaming? Also in the case I was planning on filling it up with 11 of these fans over time.

I was also wanting to put a water cooling system in as I was wanting to overclock. Would that just be overkill with the 11 fans + the ones that came with the case? Or should I just put one in anyway? If so, what kind of liquid cooling kits would you recommend?

As for RAM I was wanting to put these in: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...;skuId=1853489

I already have a video card, it's not great but I guess it's decent until I can upgrade. It seems the link on best buy to it is gone, but it's a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series. I'm not really looking for a sound card right now.

Also for the hard drive, I was planning on just taking the one in this pc(920GB) and putting it into the one I planned on building.

I think the only thing missing really is the power supply, I'm not really too sure on what I should be looking for on this. Any suggestions/tips are appreciated.

So basically I'm just wondering, are all the parts I've selected all compatible with each other? I double checked myself the best I can and what from what I understand all should go well, but I figured it'd be best for a second opinion. Also will all the parts work great with my needs for gaming?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: Going to start my first project

Newegg.com - IN WIN Dragon Rider Black 1.0 - 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

You definitely want to get your stuff through NewEgg.

Give us your budget and we will see what we can put together for you, or at least we can give you better recommendations, such as going with a 2500K instead of the 2600K and just overclocking it to get the same speed.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the fast reply and suggestion of newegg.

As for my budget, probably around $800 would be great.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

CPU + MB: $350 Intel i5 2500k + Asus P8P67 Motherboard.
RAM: $53 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 (low-profile).
GPU: $185 XFX HD 6870
PSU: $85 Corsair TX650 V2.
ODD: $19 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner.
HDD: $59 750GB WD Caviar Black.
Case: $60 Cooler Master HAF 912.

Total = $811 (before rebates/shipping/other combos).

It looks like I ignored some of your post, but let me explain why.
1) $140 for a case on a $800 budget isn't going to leave much for other quality parts.
2) 16GB of RAM is overkill for gaming, so is 8GB, but much more reasonable.
3) The 2500k is as good/better for gaming than the 2600k and $100 cheaper.
4) Included video card, optical drive, and hard drive. Don't know if you have another computer but its nice not cannibalizing the only one you have in case you need to get online during the build to check anything.
5) Left out water cooling, it can run ~$200 for a quality system. How high were you looking to overclock? The stock HS/F can take you to 3.7-4.0GHz, or get something like the CM Hyper 212+ for $30 to get around 4.5GHz, you want to go higher and it gets more expensive.

Also, I know most builders overlook an OS either on purpose or accident, Win 7 64-Bit is another $100. Unless you already have a retail version of Windows you are going to have to pick up a new license, the OEM version is tied to your old motherboard.

*Edit - To check your Windows license:
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. On General Tab, under “Registered to:” you can see a product ID (divided into 4 groups of characters separated by hyphens). On an OEM installation, the 2nd group of characters is always OEM whereas on a Retail installation, you will see numbers (such 623).
Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the help Roark. As for overclocking I'm still not sure. I'll most likely get all the parts you recommended but get the case I posted. How high would you recommend I overclock it to get max fps at max settings for Crysis 2 or Battlefield? Also as I said I plan on putting 11 of those blue led fans in my first post I mentioned if that helps give you an idea on how much I would be able to overclock it.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

The case fans will increase air flow in the case and bring it closer to the ambient room temperature, which will increase due to the hot air from the computer being pushed out into the room.
Honestly I can't give you a concrete number on how high you can go because of a number of factors, chief of which is the "silicone lottery".
Not all chips are created equal, some processors can get pushed further than others, its pure chance how far you'll be able to push yours.
As to how far you should overclock I'd say it doesn't really matter all that much, FPS games seem to prefer a beefy graphics card than a high-strung CPU.

If you look at the system requirements Crysis 2 only requires a 2-core and BF3 a 4-core, no speed specified. But they put a lot of demand on the GPU.
BF3 recommends an HD 6850 but I highly doubt it, or the 6870, will max settings lag free. You're looking at a $450-$750 GPU to do that.

Cases are the most personal choice in a build since you're the one that's going to be looking at it, not me.
If you like the case and fans go for it, its just my personal opinion that it is a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere.

Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Closed Thread