Going back to PC gaming and 3D Work, building a new PC help for Bday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why get GTX 285's? Two Hd 5850s in crossfire would be cheaper, faster, and support DX11.

2x Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Edit: If they come back in stock a single HD 5970 like Zmatt suggested would be an even better option since it is faster and only slightly more expensive.

What do you guys suggest for a case? Which brand, Antec, Cooler Master, Thelmatek? What price range should I be looking at?

Also what would be a good decent 20-26 Inches or higher monitor?

For a monitor used for design work i would consider this:

Dell UltraSharp? U2410 Monitor with PremierColor technology

Yes its a Dell, but its one of the best consumber 24" screens out there. It uses a much better panel than the crappy TN panel that most use today and gives much better colour, viewing angles, brightness etc. The only others that compare are some HPs and Doublesights (or NEC if you want to spend crazy money).

It your happy getting a cheaper monitor though, there are alot out there. There are some good Asus, BenQ, and some samsungs that do ok TN panel screens.

Do you want to spend more to get a good design screen or are you ok with a cheaper one thats good for gaming?

For a monitor used for design work i would consider this:

Dell UltraSharp? U2410 Monitor with PremierColor technology

Yes its a Dell, but its one of the best consumber 24" screens out there. It uses a much better panel than the crappy TN panel that most use today and gives much better colour, viewing angles, brightness etc. The only others that compare are some HPs and Doublesights (or NEC if you want to spend crazy money).

It your happy getting a cheaper monitor though, there are alot out there. There are some good Asus, BenQ, and some samsungs that do ok TN panel screens.

Do you want to spend more to get a good design screen or are you ok with a cheaper one thats good for gaming?

Too expensive, don't neeed that kind of a monitor bro, sorry :(.

I am looking at a price range 150-260 as far as monitors go..and I prefer Sony or Samsung, I hate dell, hp , kds, acer.

How about just one 5870 instead of xfire 5850s unless the 5970 comes back in stock? He doesn't need all that power anyway:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And here is a nice samsung in your budget:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

But yes, you're going to have to come back in 2 months to reconfigure definitely.

How about just one 5870 instead of xfire 5850s unless the 5970 comes back in stock? He doesn't need all that power anyway:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And here is a nice samsung in your budget:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

But yes, you're going to have to come back in 2 months to reconfigure definitely.

Awesome monitor, i'll prolly get that one or similiar to it.

However, I am planning on buying top of the line #1 video card there is no question about it, and since I am building a pc in two months , I hope it will be easier to find a Radeon HD 5970, unless something new comes out.

By the way, what is the big difference in motherboards? Why are some 150 and others are like 500??? how do I know which one I should get... my processor socket is LGA 1366 btw..

Hello there,

If you are going to be bounded to a 24" monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200, I'd reconsider getting the 5970 as at that resolution the power of the card would be wasted. Unless you are planning on running an array of 3 monitors or one very large one it isn't justified (2560 x 1600). A 5850 for all intents and purposes would serve quite well if changing/adding displays in the future is out of the question.

I would still say get a 5870 over a 5850 so it is more future proof. However, you are right, the power of a 5970 is wasted on a 1920x1200 monitor. I'm just assuming he isn't planning on upgrading his card for awhile. A few years down the road, the power won't be being wasted anymore. 2560x1600 monitors are like $1000.

The problem right now is that in order to take advantage of the 5970 at high resolutions is in fact to overclock the CPU since stock speeds of a i7 920 is going to bottleneck the GPU.

Granted the OP has two months before he finalizes anything, there may be a chance that a more solidified presence of Nvidia's Fermi may drive prices down or provide better offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom