Go for the SLi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutch45

Baseband Member
Im just putting the finishing touches on my new pc and im debating to go SLi or not. The cpu im using is the Q6600 and im going to be using a 8800gts for the gpu. What are you thoughts on SLi? Typically I upgrade my video card every 18-24 monthes, so can I just add another of the same cards in a year? I guess I just need to read a good article on SLi if someone has one.

SLI would be helpful, when playing games at a high resolution. So if you plan on gaming on resolutions 1920 x 1200 and up, you should SLI. Any lower, and a single powerful card such as the GTS 512, is good.

What do you recommend for 2 SLi cards that wont break the bank? I'm just putting the feelers out there, more then likely I will prob stick with a single card.

honestly, i feel it would be useless to go sli with the same video card you bought 2 years ago, the technology will be outdated. Shaders and other stuff. Like if you had a 6800 and now decide to add another, it wouldnt be very good compared to one of the newer cards out. My $.02

Lets say I want to spend 400 on my video card. Is it better to get two cards at 200 and run them SLi or one beast at 400 and run it straight? I guess im just trying to see what going SLi would cost me and if its even reasonable for me to do that.

The ONLY reason to do SLI is when the best card on the market isnt enough. I have SLI GTS512's because the performance is roughly that of the GTX for a lot less money and power draw. Personally just buy a single GTS512 and see if that is enough, then if you want more, buy a 2nd one. But unless you game on a 24" or larger monitor a single GTS512 will be plenty.

TL: DR version. buy 1 high end card instead of 2 lower end cards.

Another advantage of SLI that I just found out....you have redundancy. I had a card crap out on me and rather than being out for two weeks while it was RMA'd I was still able to play games and have a computer functioning.

Yep, its nice to have a spare card around. This is one of the reasons i never bothered to sell my 1650 (that and its only worth about 20 bucks) just in case to have a spare around. I'm hoping to be able to stagger my stepup so that i have 1 GTS while the other is in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom