Ridlyn said:
AMD x2 3800+
Thermaltake Soprano
MSI K8N Neo4-f
2*1GB of RAM
7900gt
250gb HDD
Antec 550w PSU

So these parts are all of medium to high quality and are compatible with eachother? I want to thank you, Ridlyn and apokalipse, and , very much for your help. Also, thanks to everyone else for not totally bashing me on my lack of PC knowledge, like some other forums did. To all of you a good day, and once it's built, i'll have him post some pictures and stats. Thanks again!:D

Alright, finished buying all the parts. Went a little over the maximum budged I intended, but it's for my brother's graduation present, so it's the least I can do.

I went w/...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ skt 939
Thermaltake Tsunami - VA3000SWA
BFG nForce4 Ultra Mobo
eVGA e-GeForce 7900
2* 1 GB OCZ Platinum XTC Edition
Samsung 250GB hard.drive 7200 SATA II
Antec 550W PSU

Does all of this check out compatible? Did I make good choices varying from the exact selections you chose? Or would you suggest returning anything? Any help is much appreciated. Also, is he going to need a drive to play games through? As you can see, I'm not to good with PCs. Any help w/ that is also appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

I would've stuck to the X2 3800. The 4200 only gives you 200mhz more, which is easily obtainable with a 1 minute overclock on the 3800. Yes, of course he'll need an optical drive. Here's a good one at a good price: NEC Black DVD Burner. The case, video card, PSU (I assume that's the TruePower), HDD, and RAM all check out fine. The motherboard... well, you might want to provide more information or a link to that to check for compatibility. Also, he'll need a thermal compound (I recommend Arctic Silver 5) for the CPU.

Yup, you're good to go. Just look at the stuff I suggested. If he plans on overclocking, you might want to buy some aftermarket cooling for his CPU/GPU, or tell him to.

Any suggestions on aftermarket cooling. You mean like...fans, right? Also, what is Arctic Silver 5, and how is it used? Thanks as usual, you've all been a big help in this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom