Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 & FX-6100 BSOD

brad1138

Solid State Member
I just installed a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 & FX-6100 in my computer (back story here: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/would-you-upset-265918/index3.html#post2035444).

When running test software like CPU-Z, Performance test 8.0, IBT etc.. I started getting BSOD reboots. I did a clean install of Win 7x64, installed ALL updates and it still happened, just when opening CPU-Z. The beginning of Performance test where it gathers sys info is when it crashed. I loaded fail safe defaults in BIOS before reinstalling W7.

I am going to try loading the chipset drivers from Gigabyte. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Check temps and make sure bios settings are set properly. Run a stability test while checking those temps.

Coretemp for temp monitoring
Prime95 for stress testing.

Check temps and make sure bios settings are set properly. Run a stability test while checking those temps.

Coretemp for temp monitoring
Prime95 for stress testing.

I have an upgraded cooler and it never gets above ~45C. It doesn't seam to be temp related. When it crashed loading CPU-Z, temp was in low 30's

And that's why I said go to the bios and make sure the settings are set properly (usually all auto). An unstable or overheating CPU can cause this. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the board is updated to the latest F4 bios as well.

Prime95 also stresses RAM which could be an intermittent issue too. That's why I suggested stress testing it. CPU-Z usually only crashes itself to the desktop when the CPU is unstable as I've seen this many times with the latest version. Completely crashing the whole machine (BSOD) is usually a bios problem.

And that's why I said go to the bios and make sure the settings are set properly (usually all auto). An unstable or overheating CPU can cause this. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the board is updated to the latest F4 bios as well.

Prime95 also stresses RAM which could be an intermittent issue too. That's why I suggested stress testing it. CPU-Z usually only crashes itself to the desktop when the CPU is unstable as I've seen this many times with the latest version. Completely crashing the whole machine (BSOD) is usually a bios problem.

Sorry, I did check BIOS. I had set it to fail safe defaults before installing Win7. I will check the BIOS version, although after installing the USB3 drivers (just did that) I can't even get to the desktop. I can get to logon, but after I enter password, it crashes...

After 3 retries, it made it to the desktop. Funny thing also is I got ti to pass 10 passes on IBT. Memory could be it, I will test it and try some other memory.

Last edited:
Man is this getting frustrating, I have never used PRime95, but it isn't doing anything. Just sits there saying "no work to do at the present time" Grrr. I am going to try Linux mem test.

You need to click on just stress testing when you first launch it. Then it will start testing automatically.

Sounds like you may have a board problem, but if everything else checks out idk. Are you using the standalone version of CPU-Z or the installed?

I have tried, different memory, different power supply, different video card and unplugged the 2 IDE cd/dvd rom drives. none of that worked. I then tried a different CPU, my P II 955 BE. It is working, but sometimes I need to reboot a couple times to get it to crash. Also the FX-6100 worked fine on the previous ASUS motherboard. I'll restart and see if I can get it to crash.

Seems to be working fine, can't get it to crash. Now how do I figure out if the problem is in the CPU or the motherboard?

One thing I noticed with the FX-6100, with both motherboards, when starting Performance test 8.0, as it is gathering system info and the motherboard is spinning in the display, it stutters badly as it is gathering CPU info, the motherboard stops spinning, the FPS goes to about 0 (from 2000-3000) for up to 5 seconds, then it continues as normal. I don't know if that means anything or not.

Back
Top Bottom