Gigabyte 5850 or Msi 5850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSI one says it supports overvoltage so for overclocking that would be the better choice IMO.

It all depends, the only way overclocking heats up the gpu is if you add volts to it. Which you can do with the MSI one, AFAIK, the gigabyte one can't, without some mods or sketchy programs. So you wouldn't be able to overclock the gigabyte one as much as the MSI. So if you're buying a card to overclock you should go with the MSI, although make sure you know what your doing. As voltage adding is what can fry parts, but also what makes them faster.

the only way overclocking heats up the gpu is if you add volts to it.

That is not true. Increasing the voltage will increase the amount of heat, but just the act of overclocking increases the heat output. As you increase the clock speeds your increasing the amount of work the cpu can do. The more work performed, the more heat produced.

I would buy the cheapest "good" brand name (XFX would be my choice) model available and then buy an aftermarket cooler for it from a company like Arctic Cooling.

That is not true. Increasing the voltage will increase the amount of heat, but just the act of overclocking increases the heat output. As you increase the clock speeds your increasing the amount of work the cpu can do. The more work performed, the more heat produced.

I would buy the cheapest "good" brand name (XFX would be my choice) model available and then buy an aftermarket cooler for it from a company like Arctic Cooling.

Is it hard to install an aftermarket cooler? I am scared to do it because it looks complicated. I am also really annoyed because I just installed my new zalman 120 mm performa cpu heatsink to my computer and it is really loud!

Generally zalman's are subpar coolers now, they're older tech.

I've never done it myself, but it works the same way as installing a cpu heatsink.

@Slay, My 4850 didn't increase in temp at all when I had it somewhere around 680/1150? Don't really remember since it was only for a couple days, and since overclocked 4850s don't play nice with dual monitors. I'm sure it increases a bit, but not enough to warrant a new heatsink.

TBH you don't need one. Get the stock card, and do what you want with it, and if you NEED another cooler get one. I've been perfectly happy with stock, and lots of other people are as well. Adding another cooler adds another $50-$60 to your card.

Okay thanks so ill get the msi then. Thanks for the help! Im going to start a new thread so I could find a good cpu cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom