Gigabye X38-DQ6 or Asus Maximus Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

900RR

In Runtime
I can't decide between these two boards. Apparently the Asus has more features and options but the DQ6 is the better overclocker... Here's some comparison
image029.png

image028.png

Ok obviously the 6x multiplier means nothing, since I will be using as high a multi as possible, but I don't want to run at 1.6v either. Does this pretty much mean that the DQ6 will be stable at higher FSB across the voltage range though? or only at 1.6v? I don't really want to go more than 1.4v. Would the Asus be better for that?

If there's any other reasons to get one or the other feel free to voice your opinion.

I would get the Asus Maximus because its easier to be reset CMOS if you over do it on your overclock (theres a button on the back near the USB Port)

I havent heard anywhere that the DQ6 is a better overclocker, if anything i've heard the exact opposite. I own a maximus formula and its been amazing so far.

XD I've got the DQ6 and workin fine so far. Every time I screw up the OC it just resets to default BIOS for me and restarts the PC, allowing me to get back into the bios immediately.

You can also load Several different BIOS profiles so restoring your settings to make minor adjustments only takes 2 or 3 keystrokes. Also having different saved settings is handy for different situations. Can store different clocks, and whatnot.

i like it anyway. I've no experience with the maximus so i dunno there.

and from any reviews i've read between the two they're roughly the same at overclocking. i went with the dq6 because i'll never buy another asus board after the last few that bricked on me and support basically told me to get lost XD but many people have asus boards that work great so take that with a grain of salt.

I didn't comment on that that because I wasn't sure, but I thought all x38's would eventually cap out at the same point

It depends on whether you want more features, or more overclockability. Regardless of which is the better overclocker though, I'm sure both are great at overclocking.

i'll let you know once i figure out how to OC properly. I just need to start low and slowly work up but im too bloody impatient haha. maybe tomorrow since i have all day off.

havin a bit of difficulty since my memory doesn't seem to want to run anywhere near its speed and rated timings and i dont understand. but anyway ill just make a topic or something.

I hear the formula has some cool features and stuff, and if i wasn't boycotting asus then i probably would have gone with the formula.

when I overclock what I did was just start by Cranking up that voltage to a little bit below max recommended voltage (I'm too impatient :D), and start going up with FSB

its not the best way, but it was effective with my e4300 system and my x2 3600+ system (it'll probably be the same Technique I use with the 4600+)

If you plan to use a heatsink that has a backplate, get the x38-ds4. the dq6 wont let you use any heatsinks that use a backplate (TRUE/tt-120)

The Asus Maximus Formula will automatically reset the bios if you fail on an OC. I have never had to use the Bios reset button, all tho there is a reset button on the back. Also, the LCD Poster is nice when assembing your build. It will tell you what fails on the LCD screen. Works also as a clock. Sound card works great. Bios has tons of options for OC'ing. The Bios also has a few profiles you can save for OC'ing. There is also a Power and Reset buttons on the board itself for testing out of the pc. Plenty of fan connections for controlling all of your case fans. Seems to OC with no problem. I have hit 3.725GHz on my Q6600, 3.5 stable. I think the VID on my cpu is only reason is won't stay stable at 3.6 or higher. You will have to update the Bios if you get it, just make sure and read the forum on Asus site for the right way to update. This is where most people mess up these MB's. I have no complaints with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom