Getting ready for building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
So my parts are en route, and I have in mind how I want to set them up, and need help.

First of all, I've heard here and there that Raid 0 was a good setup for a hard drive, since mine is blank right now anyway. How would I set the drive to Raid 0?

Next - I plan on overclocking my e6600 to at least 3.0. I have no idea how to increase the clock speed, or voltage. Do I do this through BIOS or some software?

I also have no clue how to install Windows XP on the said Raid 0 drive, am I supposed to just pop in the CD and wait for a prompted installation?

Am I supposed to plug in my 8800 GTS even when I don't have the drivers yet?

I have some more questions that don't come to mind right now..

Yes, overclocking is done through the BIOS. Read up on overclocking guides. Here is a good guide on overclocking C2Ds:
Core2Duo Overclocking Guide v1.1

And you have to plug in the 8800GTS, or it won't work. You can install the drivers later, after you install Windows.

I'm not knowledgeable in the RAID department....sorry. But I'm sure other people here, like salty do.

ok first you have to decide between software and hardware raid. hardware raid is through the bios and the motherboard software raid is through windows. Hardware raid takes jumping through hoops but a marked increase in speed and capacity whilst software you just get the extra capacity from having the hdd's combined with a minor speed boost.

Your motherboard manual should tell you in detail how to set up a hardware raid array it is normally go to the hdd configuration men change one of the settings to raid this will then open a new menu on boot which press the shortcut key for you then configure your raid array by saying which drives what type of raid and how much of the drives combined space you want to use within the array the default setting is full capacity generally. you create the raid array. install windows by just setting the cd drive as the primary boot put in the cd and follow the onscreen prompts.

Software raid you install windows go to disk management convert borth drives to dynamic and then select them both and a raid option should appear click what type of raid and format and your done :D

uhmm put everythiing together, that means everything forget about drivers for the moment, to set up raid 0 u need a floppy drive from what i know, and press f6 on the screen and folow onscreen instructions.

But for installing windows, all you have to do is put the cd in the drive, but firstly go into the bios when the computer boots up. Then look under boot device priority setting, it will probably try and boot from one of your hdd, but because there is nothing on it and you want to install xp from the cd, u need to set the priority setting to the dvd drive.

Id say install windows first. Then install the software provided with the motherboard, very crucial i think. Then either install ure internet first, ill tell u y in a second. Then install ure graphics cards drivers, anti virus, software ect.
You instal ure internet first because most things want to update when you install drivers, hence, u need the internet to do that.

well good luck =)

oh and post ure build up aswell, thanks

do raid through the bios. then you have to get hte drivers for raid since xp is gay and doesnt do good with that. then you put the raid drivers on a floppy and press f6 during xp installation... but i dunno about vista, hopefully they do better about that.

install lan drivers from cd. go on internet explorer. go to Firefox - Rediscover the Web and install. then get your gfx card, sound card (if any), motherboard utility drivers, ect. i never use the drivers from the cd, they're always outdated...

Hmm I think I'll try that hardware raid thing.
Thanks for the link, b1g.

Uhh I have a e6600, 8800 GTS 320, MSI SLI platinum, Corsair 520W, G.Skill 2gb DDR2 800, and a Seagate barricuda 320gb. The essentials, at least.

sounds good, what cooling are u useing? if your using the stock cooler i hear the thermal glue that it comes with isnt enough

Okay, is there anything else I should remember before putting this together?
Like, do I put the RAM or CPU fan in first, or do I put parts in after booting up, and such..
I read somewhere that RAID 0 setup very well can fail, thus erasing all the files on both the drives. Since I have a lot of important files I want to keep, dearly, I decided to stick with NFTS.

What would be the typical problems and solutions I will probrably run into, so I don't have to ask later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom