Getting new parts for X-mas, help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakebird

Baseband Member
Hefs suggestion on my new set up.

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards $289

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops $289

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory $149

$724 leaving you $700 for gpu's you could wait for the 5870 (or two) or 5890 (currently out of stock at the egg and hard to get right now. You could buy gtx295 or gtx285 x2 or 4870 x 2. You could wait for gtx300's to come out. Pick your poison.

budget is around 1.5k and can go up if needed. Looking for something to be able to run older games such as 1.6/source and WoW, but able to run VMs, media, and other things behind it without process lag.

This build looks amazing to me, any other suggestions or comments are wanted.

Id like to add the power supply im going to be running is 600watts and im fine with my HDD currently. Case was build to be a server so size isnt a problem for the most part, i can also run my liquid cooling setup on it for overclocking.

Also, i have a friend who was thinking of giving me his shuttle, its specs are roughly:

Mobo: 4 DDR2 ram slots, 1 possibly 2 x16 2.0 slot(s) i cant remember. AMD based.
processor: AMD tri-core at 2.8Ghz
videocard: nvidia 9800 GT i think thats what its running if not a GT then just 9800.
HDD: 1TB at 7.2k RPMs

Hes moving across country and wanted me to have it when/if he does. I was wondering, should i get hefs build or grab my friends shuttle and upgrade it. Keeping in mind, he could possibly want this back at one point in time but doubtful if he does really give it to me.

Thanks guys.

PS: Ill tell you guys if he is going to let me have to for sure without wanting it back ever.

I would without a doubt go with Hef's build. There isn't really a comparison between the 2 processors.

As for the graphic card I would go with a single 5870 because there isn't really anything that the card can't handle. Maybe with the extra money you could get a SSD

Alright guys ill go with hefs and his bro will get the shuttle. thanks! one last question, any other things youd like to suggest on hefs build? i could spend a bit more. so anything that would be a slight upgrade to that one, let me know.i can spend about 600 or 700 more including the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom