Status
Not open for further replies.

C_olin

In Runtime
I recently got an HP Pavillion dv9000.... here are some specs:
-------
Microprocessor: AMD Turionâ„¢ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50
Microprocessor Cache: 2 X 256 KB Level 2 cache
Memory: 1024 MB DDR2 667 MHz (2 x 512 MB)
Memory Max: up to 2 GB
Video Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7600
Video Memory: 256 MB (dedicated)
Hard Drive: 100 GB 5400 rpm
-------

My main problem is that it came with Vista, which seems to be slow and buggy. I was going to install XP but was unsure on whether I should install the 64 version or 32. I know it would be faster with the 64, but didn't know what kind of compatibility issues i might run into.

Thanks

from the specs its way easy to till what the problem is.

One word: Memory

Vista uses about 700-800mb easily. I would suggest getting 2 GB of ram ( more than likely they place 2 512mb on purpose as with other pc makers ) and that will bring it to 2.5 gb which will allow a decent amount for running programs. Also disabling any power saving options will increase gaming performance by 50% or even more.

Thanks for the help.. I'll probably get that ram...

but should i switch to XP? I'm not interested in DX 10 or anything that vista offers to gaming (yet). Does XP have better gaming performance?

64 bit windows doesn't just allow you to use more then 3.5gigs of ram... there are many more incentives

Could you elaborate? I'm going to be using my Windows partition exclusively for gaming. Would XP_64 be a better choice than XP_32 in this context?

Could you elaborate? I'm going to be using my Windows partition exclusively for gaming. Would XP_64 be a better choice than XP_32 in this context?

If you keep the old ram in there 32-bit would not be able to recognize it however that is a laptop and that means you only have 2 slots right? I would recommend XP because the performance hit in Vista on some cards and some resolutions is absolutely unacceptable.

If you keep the old ram in there 32-bit would not be able to recognize it however that is a laptop and that means you only have 2 slots right? I would recommend XP because the performance hit in Vista on some cards and some resolutions is absolutely unacceptable.

xp_32 wouldn't be able to recognize my current ram? I don't understand why not.

Thanks for reply... I'm sure I'll be switching to XP... I just don't know if I want the 64 bit or 32 bit version?

xp_32 wouldn't be able to recognize my current ram? I don't understand why not.

Thanks for reply... I'm sure I'll be switching to XP... I just don't know if I want the 64 bit or 32 bit version?

Well they say 32-bit has a problem recognizing 3GB which is all you would have, but some people have told me 2.5GB as well. Plus mixing older slow ram with high quality fast ram will only make your high quality ram as fast as your slowest one. This is why I suggest taking out the old 1GB and just keeping in the high quality 2GB.

Ok.... so with the RAM issue set aside. What are the pros and cons for using XP 64 on a gaming computer... Obviously it would be more optimal for my processor... But would I run into compatibility issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom