Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help! - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #61 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

3.0 will not fit 2.0 at all unless you have an adapter and that board does not have a 3.0 slot. There's no getting around it.

If your PC won't turn on it's something else. MOre than likely the board isn't mounted right.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to p2skater1 Send a message via Skype™ to p2skater1
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
3.0 will not fit 2.0 at all unless you have an adapter and that board does not have a 3.0 slot. There's no getting around it.

If your PC won't turn on it's something else. MOre than likely the board isn't mounted right.
By that do you mean how to board is in the case, or how all the cables are mounted to the board?
__________________

p2skater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #63 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2skater1 View Post
By that do you mean how to board is in the case, or how all the cables are mounted to the board?
Let me ask you somethings.
When you put the motherboard inside your case did you use mounting pegs from the case or no ?



Look at this image, now look near the drive bay area psu mounting area.
You see those 6 hole leverages that bevel up ?
Did you install your board like this or diffferently ?

Also since you have pwr, rst, hdd led cables did you install in the correct order ?
If they are install in the front, turn them around so they will face backwords.

Those will give you problems if you don't install them right, meaning no powerup no epic computer machine.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #64 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to p2skater1 Send a message via Skype™ to p2skater1
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
Let me ask you somethings.
When you put the motherboard inside your case did you use mounting pegs from the case or no ?



Look at this image, now look near the drive bay area psu mounting area.
You see those 6 hole leverages that bevel up ?
Did you install your board like this or diffferently ?

Also since you have pwr, rst, hdd led cables did you install in the correct order ?
If they are install in the front, turn them around so they will face backwords.

Those will give you problems if you don't install them right, meaning no powerup no epic computer machine.
Yeah, I used the mounting pegs/screw to make it like up with everything. There's was only one way it could go in so all the ports would stick through the back. I will try different orders for the cables you mentioned. Also when I turn my Power supply on, after the computer is plugged into the wall, should its fan come on because there is a button on my case that turns my CPU fan on.
p2skater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #65 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2skater1 View Post
Also when I turn my Power supply on, after the computer is plugged into the wall, should its fan come on because there is a button on my case that turns my CPU fan on.
No for the heatsink fan, put that 3 wire where it says cpu.
For system case fans put the 4 pin wires where it says system fans.
If you have more than 2 fans in your case you'll have to figure out which fans you'll need most.
I recommend the back so it can pull out any heat the cpu may give out and the front fan so it can pull in air.

When you have everything setup your computer should not automatically kick on upon plugging up.
check the pwr and reset switch wires to make sure its setup properly.

Given all that if it doesn't power up or is having problems trying to power up.
Remove the gpu first, if it powers on and goes to the bios it maybe you might the gpu too tight.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #66 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to p2skater1 Send a message via Skype™ to p2skater1
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
No for the heatsink fan, put that 3 wire where it says cpu.
For system case fans put the 4 pin wires where it says system fans.
If you have more than 2 fans in your case you'll have to figure out which fans you'll need most.
I recommend the back so it can pull out any heat the cpu may give out and the front fan so it can pull in air.

When you have everything setup your computer should not automatically kick on upon plugging up.
check the pwr and reset switch wires to make sure its setup properly.

Given all that if it doesn't power up or is having problems trying to power up.
Remove the gpu first, if it powers on and goes to the bios it maybe you might the gpu too tight.
Ok, also my case fans use a 3 prong connector while my Mothebroard has a 4 prong larger connection, so I'm pretty sure I will have horrible cooling.. And for the USB 3.0 to 2.0, does that make it so I can use my USB ports?
p2skater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #67 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

3pin fan connectors can plug into 4pin motherboard connectors.

By what I was saying I meant your board could be mounted wrong causing a short making your system not turn on. It's a self protection mechanism. Take the board back out of the case and unplug everything besides CPU/heatsink, RAM, 24pin, 8pin, and the power cable for the front of the case. Put the motherboard down on the box and see if it turns on. If it does, it was shorting in the case.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #68 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2skater1 View Post
Ok, also my case fans use a 3 prong connector while my Mothebroard has a 4 prong larger connection, so I'm pretty sure I will have horrible cooling.. And for the USB 3.0 to 2.0, does that make it so I can use my USB ports?
I dont think so long as the usb port on the mobo looks like this


Any usb connect device with 2.0 or 1.1 will be compatible it may go at a lower speed rate when transfering.
That shouldn't be an issue view this later on so you can understand usb 3.0.
USB 3.0

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #69 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to p2skater1 Send a message via Skype™ to p2skater1
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!



Anything I should do? Check my temps n such?
p2skater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #70 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Getting My First Gaming PC! Need Help!

Leave everything auto.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gaming, help find

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Gaming Computer and need help choosing! Visura New Systems | Building and Buying 1 09-04-2011 09:52 AM
First build, first power up...need some help. 3daywkend System Upgrades 6 12-05-2010 11:54 AM
I need help getting a new gaming PC XTheProcreatedX System Upgrades 3 11-06-2009 03:40 PM
getting first gaming laptop please help Norcent System Upgrades 12 07-23-2007 08:50 AM
Noob getting his first gaming rig...need advice Limbo New Systems | Building and Buying 20 06-15-2007 06:29 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.