gettin back into my computer after couple years

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyo

In Runtime
after i got my computer a few years ago it was workin gloriously, now a few lears later i am looking to upgrade this gaming machine. i believe i stll know enough about graphics cards and ram n stuff like that, so just a few basic questions...
-have an amd 3500 at the moment, would a new high end gfx card be worth it with this same processor? (have 6600gt now)
-socket 939 still good mobo? i remember when i got my comp, the socket 726(?) (7xx iono the #) was considered outdated and stupid to upgrade a socket of that #. Much like AGP as opposed to PCIE.

How much money are you looking to spend on it? Thats the biggest issue. Because if you have enough, i would suggest upgrading both to a mid-high end instead of upgrading one or the other to high end.

a used 6800GT offa Ebay or a 7600GS should be a mid range upgrade, your CPU won't bottleneck either of those at all.

939 is dead. AMD is currently on socket AM2, with AM2+ due out later this year. Dual core is the new norm for both AMD and Intel.

Intel is still in the 775 socket. P4s are dead, Core 2 Duos are the main, with quads just released. Intel will be bringing out their new guns Q3, with 45nm dies. AMD will be releasing their own quads about that time, and they look to be awesome.

Both AMD and Intel now use DDR2 exclusively, with rumbles about adopting DDR3 in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom