General Topic: So how much should you spend on building your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
money means different things to different people.

some people find it hard to drop more than $500 on a pc
some people find it easy to drop over 5k on a pc

its always the users budget that is king.

if i was a millionaire, i would most likely sport a i7 extreme with dual 295's and a 285 as a dedicated phyx card all water cooled. that setup would be chump change for any millionaire. whats a $5,000 pc when your driving a lambo?

now if your a 1989 civic, chances are your not going to be rocking anything over $1500.

I agree and I don't. I can easily afford a i7 965, but it's not going to outperform the i7 dollar per dollar. It's not even close. And when you look at the overclocking potential the i7 920 is even sexier.

My last cpu was a Core 2 Xtreme 9650 and it was retailing for more than my i7 920 when it was purchased. But the 9650 got pushed to my workstation because price doesn't always match performance.

He likely sells himself on the streets. in all seriousness I am also curious, you must be making major bank. Or one of those people that has nothing as far as a house, car, or clothes, but spends all on electronics

It is really not appropriate to ask about how people make their money and how they choose to spend it.

They work hard for it and can spend it as they wish.

It is really not appropriate to ask about how people make their money and how they choose to spend it.

They work hard for it and can spend it as they wish.

I'm not trying to be rude and I'm certainly not judging him for spending his money on computer parts. I'm simply curious. I don't care what he spends his money on and I'm not trying to give him a hard time for spending it. I'm young and I envy the fact that he can do what he does. I don't feel like that is inappropriate at all but he has every right to not answer. I asked in a nice way and I'm not going to nag him to answer either. I'm not asking his specific salary or how much he has in his bank, just simply what he does for a living.

Yes I understand your question was valid. I was just attempting to stop the continuing discussion that always seem to occur after such a question. People always want to start jumping in with pointless additions to your original question..

I was only trying to nip it in the bud.

Thanks guys for your responses.

For my build I had originally planned to spend around 2,500. That was the plan until I got laid off from work (franking economy) so I dropped it down unto 1,500. I guess I'm just worried because I want an outstanding machine. Maybe my mentality is back a few years when computers were outrageously expensive.

Can I truly get a high performance machine for 1,500? Is that an excellent standard or should I try higher? Thanks again

Yes $1500 is a great number to shoot for. Spending more only nets you small gains for the amount of money spent.

Yes I understand your question was valid. I was just attempting to stop the continuing discussion that always seem to occur after such a question. People always want to start jumping in with pointless additions to your original question..

I was only trying to nip it in the bud.

Fair enough. I didn't think about what might come from me asking that. As long as you understand I wasn't trying to be rude, I'm happy.

Thanks guys for your responses.

For my build I had originally planned to spend around 2,500. That was the plan until I got laid off from work (franking economy) so I dropped it down unto 1,500. I guess I'm just worried because I want an outstanding machine. Maybe my mentality is back a few years when computers were outrageously expensive.

Can I truly get a high performance machine for 1,500? Is that an excellent standard or should I try higher? Thanks again

Back on topic... $1500 will get you a great computer. Your money will go much farther nowadays. DDR2 costs a 6th of what it did 2-3 yrs ago but it is still very fast and has several years of life left. Depending on what you need, you could probably get a very nice i7 build with that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom