GeForce 6 or 7 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdkiller

Baseband Member
I bought a BFG 6800 GS OC 256MB AGP for $220 a few months ago and its great and all, unlocked the extra stuff to make it a GTX and everything works well. what i cannot understand though is how come a 7800 series is more than $100 extra. is it worth the extra money to buy a 7800 or just get another 6800? i do not intend to use sli. just want something that will play games at a respectable quality. the 7600 is close to the $200 range but it only has a 128 bit mem interface so that totally sucks. i really do not want to spend more than $250 for a gfx card.

any advice?

Then stick with what you have. There is no point to spending money on a 7600 or 7800 for that matter. If your going to pop for a new card....................................7900GT all the way. Once you run that card in your machine you'll understand by the $325 is worth every penny!!! My BFG runs 24 pipes oc'd to 550/1600. Smokin!!!!!!!!!!

how long till those new G80s come out? and what kinda fire power we talking about and for what price?

also i forgot to mention that i looking for a new card to put in a new system not to replace the 6800 i already have. :)

also 24 pipes on the 7900 is excellent.

yeah, thats even better, G80 with a new system, they coming out sometime this summer. not sure bout prices, but they DEFINITELY will be worth it.

cdkiller - 7600 GT is 128 bit mem interface, but most benchmarks shows that it outforms 6800GS.

and how do u plan to get another 6800GS if u have agp 6800GS. APG cards don't support SLI.

Don't bother getting anything else until the G80's, definitely DX10 is going to be huge, there's no point in buying anything else now, just wait for the next revalation, I mean I'm running on a 6800GS (@510/1450), and it plays all my games full quality fine, (NFS:MW, HL2 etc), so I'm not going to buy another card until Vista and the G80's.

Charlie -

Fwiffo said:
IF you wait in the world of computers you'll wait forever

i hear u. every few days there is something new to get, lol. but DX9 was out for so long that i think it would be wise to wait for DX10 at this stage. i could only assume that vista will require the full potential of a DX10 compatible card. it seems like the more powerful we could make a pc, microsoft will release an OS or patch to ensure performance degradation, lol. i hope vista will work properly with dual cores because XP pro corp hangs randomly when being used in a HT enabled machine. strangely enough it only hangs when loading mocrosoft programs like outlook etc.

i did not realise the 7600 was better than the 6800. i will check some benchmarks. the 7600 may be worth considering. but waiting for the G80 might also mean the price of the 7900 will drop :)

i dont really want to consider sli because it is expensive and it seems only necessary for when you have on 16x full screen AA. also i see that most regular sli boards drop both cards to 8X speed in sli mode and only recently there came to be true sli boards that allowed 16X speed on both cards. the performance might be impressive but i am not willing to pay that much money. lol.

oh yea i was also wondering. what is the difference between lanparty and lanparty UT if all the lanparties seem to be UV reactive? i am wondering if they stopped production of the lanparty UT and just made the regular lanparty UV reactive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom