Ganked the P4, going AMD gaming, check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

knerrmj

Baseband Member
I posted a couple of topics already about the P4 650 and started to really evaluate the purpose of this build, GAMING. I decided that an AMD can handle anything that I would be doing with a P4 with little or no noticable difference in running applications, correct me if I'm wrong. But the reason I started looking to build was for gaming.

Check out this setup. And yes I took out a loan. (I'm not rich)

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811208008

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

Board:
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Graphics:
XFX PVT70FUND7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
2 of them SLI

RAM:
Update CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail
2 sets

Optical drive:
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM

Harddrive:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JS 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

For a monitor I can't ship anything bigger than a 17" to an FPO address. I really want a 19" or bigger. I'm going to look for one here locally. A 19" CRT would do me real well. If anyone can recomend an lcd for gaming that would be great too.

Also I need a good CPU cooler since I will probably overclock this one.

Any way, what do you think? Are there any issues that I may have overlooked?

well if you want to overclock you might want to consider getting a venice core instead of a san diego. but the venice only has 512 L2... as for cooling, you can get extreme and get water-cooling or just get a thermaltake X-90 HS/F. Samsung has a really good 19" and 17" LCD monitor you might want to take a look at on newegg.

I forgot to mention a PSU. Do I need to get one that is setup for PCIe and SLI or can I make one that isn't work. Also does anyone have any recommendations?

for a monitor check out the Hyundai L90D+ 19inch LCD. It got a lot of good reviews on newegg.com. i'm going to pick one up in a few weeks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom