gaming system custom build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseking25

In Runtime
Hi. After thinking for a LONG time, I have decided that i MAY (if money allows) build a custom computer using a couple parts from my old Dell XPS 400. If I used the DVD-drives and floppy drive from the dell along with the hard drive, what would I need besides the following parts (I have the keyboard, mice monitor, etc taken care of):

500W-750W PSU
some sort of Geforce (EVGA) Mobo
either a Core 2 Duo E6700 or a Q6600
Case (mayb antec, I heard they r good)
320 MB or 640MB 8800GTS
2GB RAM

Any suggestions on parts would be great. I'd REALLY like to keep the price low but I wanna splurge on the video card (No GTX, thats TOO expensive). Any prices u guys could give would be great. I'd prefer a SLI-compatible board (quality plz) that isnt too expensive.

ALSO...is the OS installed on the hard drive or will i need to buy a new copy? Cause I'm fine with XP for now and I'd rlly rather not buy an operating system as it will cost extra.

Thanks for any help you can give. I'd really like this to be a successful project!!

NewEgg Is Your friend

Search yourself and we'll tell you if the specs are ok , where not your searchers
(Unless someone is seriously bored)

If you decide to get the Q6600 go with ClubIT they guarantee the G0 stepping and I believe are currently the lowest price. I currently use the Antec 900 case. I really like the case but some people feel that it's a little cramped on the inside.

If you're on a budget I'd ignore the SLI-Mobos, for the most part it's a gimmick, the price/performance is worse than just buying the better card. I used to run two 6800GSs just because I got a second one cheep on eBay (200 for the first one 50 for the 2nd about 2 weeks later). I'm currently saving up for a 8800GTX, I doubt I'd do SLI again unless I had the money to **** away. It's not a very efficient set up by any means, money or power usage.

For your PSU, buy a nice one. I doubt you'll need more than 520W if you're not going two graphics cards. Stay away from any 520s under 90 bucks. When in doubt check the PSU guide under tutorials.

If you are changing out your Dell parts you'll have to buy a new copy of your OS. Dells come with OEM versions of windows that are good for one computer only. When you change your mobo/cpu windows will most likely not even boot because of the HAL is incorrect. If it does boot, windows will detect the change and tell you to buy a new copy. If you buy the retail version (A little more) it can be transfered to a new computer unlimited times, you just have to tell them it's running on just the one computer.

Hope I helped! :)

thanks for the help :) i just have a few more questions...

Approximately how much would it cost to build a good gaming system these days? (Ill use this for comparison against my own "model" build setups)

Should i get vista SP1 (when it comes out) as my new os or stick with xp?

stick with xp then switch to vista when you require DX10
a good gaming system you can get around $900, a great system for around $1200

i figure tho that ill eventually get vista and then id be buying xp and vista in the near future. wouldnt it just be better to get vista now? also ive heard that 2GB is NOT enough RAM for gaming on vista...is this rlly true?

it is enough, get 3 gb if your worries as thats what games are ESTIMATED to require in the next half year or so, cuz shadowrun minimum requirement is 2

mobo: gigabyte ds3r
cpu: q6600 g0 stepping
cpu cooler: t.right 120 extreme
ram: gskill hz 2gb or ballistix's
vga: 8800gts 320mb 640=waste
psu: corsair 520w
case: antec 900

very nice build kobester.. but how about we change something.. lets change that PSU to a pc power and coolingf silencer 610 (buy it direct.. its 129$ shipped, excellent deal... )... and if we recommend tright we need a fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom