Gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I waited you would say..."you should buy the bla bla bla CPU with 2000000 something-or-other and Nano-threading technology, all games will be using it next year" Then I would wait another year and you would say " get bla bla bla because all games will be using that next year".

If you buy for the future in can be outdated by the time the future comes.

in a sense, yes. But it is possible to have a futureproof rig for awhile. Basically its like buying agp card when now everything is using pci-e. I'm just telling you how to save the most money while getting the best performance for awhile. If your budget is the problem then there not much you can do about it.

However the move over to PCI-E is much larger and AGP and PCI-E cards cost about the same.

Also if I went for a X2 PC it would have to be the X2 4200. It can't be the X2 4400 or any other X2 CPU.

So the choice is X2 4200 or AMD 64 4000 San Diego.

I mean would the X2 4200 be good enough to run any game on full settings?

Also is the ASUS 7800GTX better or worse than the XFX Geforce 7800GTX? Because it's cheaper at the site I want to buy it from but more expensive on Newegg. Perhaps it's a different version.

whats the price difference between the 4000+ and the 4200+. if its less then 100 dollars then buy it. if not save your moeny. sense money is obviously a problem here. asus cards are ok.

Well the main bit your looking for when to choose a company is what warranty they offer really. The other part is how far they have overclocked the card, and well if you're an overclocker, you can go above their overclock.

But if you not an overclocker, then look out for the two main figures (i.e. the core clock speed, and the memory of the card). Currently, XFX (like aVGA and a few other companies) have got 490 for the core clock speed and 1300 out of the memory. When you compare this to it's stock levels (400 core clock speed and 1000/1050 memory), then you see how much more performance you're getting.

I've had a look on eBuyer and Overclockers UK to find the Asus 7800GTX and can't find it, and so I was guessing you were choosing between htis XFX version:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=92419

and the Asus card (which I can't seem to find). So just look at the core clock speed and memory and see how much more you would be getting from the XFX version. If it's not cost effective, then go Asus :)

But take a look at this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=92584

It's a Gainward version (not the best I know), but for the specs it's got (440/1300) you'd pay over £50 more for the same from XFX or Leadtech :) Just thought I'd let you know!

I think I will just go for the Leadtek one :).

I was just looking on newegg.com (even though I can't get the parts as it's in the US I was interested in reviews) and it seems people have had some very bad experiences with the Enermax 600w PSU. Read here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194001

Makes me think twice about getting one.

Read through the reviews on the first few pages (of reviews) lots of people have had them blow up :(. Maybe it's just the crazy American mains thats exploding them :D

Yeah, there was a thread on this in this forum:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php?

The general consensus on the subject was Newegg got a really bad batch of them. I've talked to a lot of people who have had them in the UK and they are all fine. One has blown up but thats because he was pushing it too hard :)

Personally, I think it would be fine, but I wouldn't trust the reviews on Newegg. They're not the most reliable in the world, but they do give you first hand advice on what the product is like. There was also a conspiracy that OCZ representatives were going round and buying these Enermax 600W PSUs and burning them out, allowing them to slate Enermax to push up sales (just like you're about to do, well not OCZs sales, but a different companies). But if you ask me, that would be highly illegal and it would have been confirmed by now if quite a few people have heard the rumor :)

What other companies are you thinking of?

I don't have another choice :D It just makes me scared.

Did you buy yours before or after the "Great Enermax Scare of 2005"? as i just cunningly dubbed it :cool:

Nope I have not. But I'm buying it from a company that makes your PC up for you. The Enermax 600w and the Enermax 535w are the best they have.

Do you think If I get the 600w I will have a problem with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom