Gaming Router help

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobzor

Baseband Member
I currently use a 56 mbps Linksys router, but since I am a gamer in constant search of lag reduction, I was thinking of upgrading to a 108G, such at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158

Those inconsistent idiots at BestBuy rambled on about how this wouldn't help, but here's my situation.

I have to have a wireless router because other computers in the house are connected to it, yet my gaming desktop is connected to the router via a cable. I use DSL, and I'm wondering if this router will boost speed. Do I need something new in my computer? Do the other computers need something new in them to connect to the wireless network? HELP!

ARGH- My copy+paste is messed. It pasted the previous thing I copied...
Fixed now =)

I saw a router one time that is supposed to give gaming applications priority access to the internet, so you could look into it. I don't know what direction to go looking for it though.

Edit: Haha, I decided to check link(don't know why I didn't do it in the first place), and I think thats it. Looks good as far as I can tell.

the 108 is for wireless if you are useing a cable then the 108 is useless to you as is the 54.
if you want to upgrade and have some money to burn get a router/ modem with QoS which allows you to give certain ports priority

It says it gives 1000mbps to cable connection, so is it really useless? I think if a router is better in general it should help the cable connection...

Yeah that router is basicsly not going to help except in a few possible ways.

Lets say, you have cable at 5 megs. This is your limiting factor.

The only way it may help is that it has proriotizes gaming traffic (UDP packets) so that they arrive quicker than TCP packets would to the destination (Under a heavy workload, this feature is only useful if you are gaming while downloading)

My question isn't about this over another router over this one, it's about 54mbps routers in general over 180G's. My cable connection was being constricted because I *have* to go through the wireless router anyways, so I'm asking if a 180G is going to give reduced latency over my old crappy Linksys.

The only thing going with a 108 router is going to help is your data transfers between computers or playing games on your network. Since you have dsl you're probably running at 1.5mbps so a 108 router isn't going to speed it up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom