Gaming Rig: Wanting speed. got a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remnant

Banned
Build at bottom of Thread.
Right now I have games like SCII and Civ V that dont have a lot of load screens so speed isnt to much of a concern. but my logic is you can never have too much speed.

I have a 1TB HD I dont know its speed or what sata it is and a 500GB HD (WD cavier black) Is there a way to make them think they are one or to make them work faster?

Right now speed isnt bad, but when Skyrim comes out I dont want to be waiting for ever at load screens. Thats why I was thinking SSD for games with lots of load screens...?

Another question Game wise, does having the OS on an SSD make a whole lot of difference?

Rig build:
CM HAF 922
CM 650W PSU
WD 500GB HDD
WD 1 TB HDD
AMD phenon II x4
XFX Radeon 5770
MSI micro Mobo
16 GB DDR3 RAM

Yes the OS on an SSD makes a difference, reduced load times and should you want you can place your games on the SSD (for example skyrim) and get much better performance out of them.

You could put the two drives in a RAID 0 but then the 1 TB drive would act as a 500 GB drive giving you a total storage space of 1 TB

hmmm..... I may get an SSD to put my OS on man they're expensive lol.

it seems like 1 tb would be hard to fill. raid 0 improves preformance?

Yes, it basically puts half of each file on both drives so when you go to read the file, you take half from one drive, and half from the other drive, doubling the read rate. Well, it theoretically doubles the read/write rate, but I'm not sure how well it really works..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom