Gaming Rig: Wanting speed. got a few questions. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Default Gaming Rig: Wanting speed. got a few questions.

Build at bottom of Thread.
Right now I have games like SCII and Civ V that dont have a lot of load screens so speed isnt to much of a concern. but my logic is you can never have too much speed.

I have a 1TB HD I dont know its speed or what sata it is and a 500GB HD (WD cavier black) Is there a way to make them think they are one or to make them work faster?

Right now speed isnt bad, but when Skyrim comes out I dont want to be waiting for ever at load screens. Thats why I was thinking SSD for games with lots of load screens...?

Another question Game wise, does having the OS on an SSD make a whole lot of difference?

Rig build:
CM HAF 922
AMD phenon II x4
XFX Radeon 5770
MSI micro Mobo

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Gaming Rig: Wanting speed. got a few questions.

Yes the OS on an SSD makes a difference, reduced load times and should you want you can place your games on the SSD (for example skyrim) and get much better performance out of them.

You could put the two drives in a RAID 0 but then the 1 TB drive would act as a 500 GB drive giving you a total storage space of 1 TB

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein
Rep me if I helped you out
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

hmmm..... I may get an SSD to put my OS on man they're expensive lol.

it seems like 1 tb would be hard to fill. raid 0 improves preformance?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
OCZ SSD Enthusiast

Yes, it basically puts half of each file on both drives so when you go to read the file, you take half from one drive, and half from the other drive, doubling the read rate. Well, it theoretically doubles the read/write rate, but I'm not sure how well it really works..
Asus P5Q Motherboard * OC'ed Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.82ghz w/ Arctic Silver 5 * OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066ghz * Kingston Hyper X (2x2gb) DDR2 1066ghz * EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked * Ultra X-Blaster ATX Mid-Tower * OCZ Vertex 2 120gb * WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 rpm * OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU * Sony Optaric DVD Burner * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit * 22" LG Flatron W2252TQ LCD * LG Flatron E2281

Samsung Series 7 17.3" Laptop w/ 256gb Vertex 4 SSD
Closed Thread