Gaming rig upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekustix

Baseband Member
Right now I have an AMD 64 X2 4200+ CPU with a single XFX 7800GTX. I'm putting 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 RAM on top of the gig I already have in it for 3.

My question is, is it worth it for me to buy another 7800GTX and run them in SLi? (I have an A8n-SLi Mobo.) If not, what would you suggest would be the next upgrade. I also have an Antec 650W PSU on the way with the RAM.

Thinking about either swapping out my 7800GTX for a 7950GX2 and giving it to my bro who needs a new GPU (He has a 5700 LE...), or getting an AMX FX-57 or FX-60.

Thoughts?

It would be best to just get 2 gigs of identical RAM and run it in dual channel. When you start mixing RAM, it can sometimes cause problems.

About the graphics card, I am debating a similar thing right now. The only thing keeping me from upgrading is the fact that Vista is comming soon which means a new DirectX version as well as new cards. Gaara here knows a lot more about DX10.

Yea 2 gigs of ram is enough for anybody, unless you're doing heavy video editing or something else of that sort. I would get a 7900GT or a X1900XT to hold you off until the DX10 cards come out.

beedubaya said:

About the graphics card, I am debating a similar thing right now. The only thing keeping me from upgrading is the fact that Vista is comming soon which means a new DirectX version as well as new cards. Gaara here knows a lot more about DX10.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking. With vista and DX10...a lot of games (Crysis for one) are going to be running off of DX10 and need a card capable of handling it. I'm thinking just using what I've got now and (At this point I'm chewing up HL2 at around 140 FPS), and upgrading when Vista comes out. I haven't been following it, has microsoft released any dates?

Cool, I should be fine until then, no sense in spending the 300 bucks for a 7900GT when that could buy Vista ;)

if you already have an sli board, going sli might not be a bad idea... if you can find a decently priced 7800gtx (same or cheaper than 7900gt). they retail for really high right now... but maybe you can get used or something.. dont pay more than $200-$250 for one.

as for cpu, dont upgrade.. and ram, 2gbs in dc is great

As for dual channel, I just bought that hot Corsair XMS2 RAM, how exactly do I setup the dualchannel?

unless you are on lynix or XP Pro don't put in 3Gb becuase it's not as fast as having only 2Gb.

also you won't need a faster cpu for a while. i think your best bet is to wait for the Dx10 cards to come out and get one of those since teh 7800 is pretty good already. unless you're really picky w/ FPS and having all graphics maxed out and high settings just aren't enough for you then stay w/ it and upgrade later.

if you feel like upgrading soon (for the sake of upgrading mostly) then look into liquid cooling or more Hard drive space.

that's my 2 cents.

Ekustix said:
As for dual channel, I just bought that hot Corsair XMS2 RAM, how exactly do I setup the dualchannel?

since you already bought it i recommend you take out the 1gig of ram already in your system and get rid of it.. give it to your bro, or sell it, or something.. then all you have to do is install the 2 sticks of 1gb in the appropriate slots... check your motherboard manual for the proper slots.. sometimes its slot 1 and 2, sometimes its 1 and 3... and sometimes it doesn't really matter. but once you put it in the right place, you should be good to go... no need to 'setup' anything for dual channel.. it'll automatically work in dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom