Gaming Rig Build Critique, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
okay guys, i posted a while back about building a gaming computer and got a lot of useful advice, but i am actually buying this weekend and have made a few changes, so please let me know what you think...
however, i am fully aware of the debate that exists over AMD vs Intel CPU's and how C2D is better, but im getting a deal on the AMD chip so PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS DEGRADE INTO A DEBATE OVER MY PROCESSOR hahaha... only comment on it if its something really constructive...
i do plan on overclocking a little (hence the aftermarket fan) to about 3.3 or a little more...

heres the COMPLETE specs (sry, no links):

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual Core (Windsor) / Processor

CPU Fan: Zalman 9700 / Blue LED / 110mm / 2-Ball / CPU Cooling Fan

Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe / NVIDIA nForce 570 / Socket AM2 / ATX / Audio / PCI Express / SLI Ready / Dual Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0-Firewire / SATA / RAID / Motherboard

Memory/RAM: G.SKILL / Dual Channel / 2GB (2 x 1GB) / PC6400 DDR2 / 800MHz / RAM Memory

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / HDCP Enabled / Video Card

Int. Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X / 150GB / 10,000 RPM / Serial ATA150 / Internal Hard Drive

Ext. Hard Drive: Western Digital MyBook Premium / 500GB / 7,200 RPM / USB 2.0-Firewire / External Hard Drive

DVD Burner: Lite-On 20X DVD±R / Black / SATA / DVD Burner with LightScribe

Card Reader: Atech Flash XM-28U 28-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader

Power Supply: Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI Ready / Black / Power Supply

Monitor: Samsung 226BW / 22" Wide / 2ms / 1000:1(DC 3000:1) Contrast Ratio / WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 / Gloss Black / DVI / Widescreen LCD Monitor

Keyboard: Logitech diNovo Edge / Wireless Rechargeable Bluetooth Keyboard

Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution / Wireless Rechargeable Laser Mouse

Case: Raidmax RX-9 GT / Black / ATX Mid-Tower / Clear Side / 2x Top-Mounted USB & Audio Ports / Remote Control / LED Display / Aluminum Case

thats all... thanx again and let me know your opinions! - RK

Your 100% possitive you want to go with AMD even though they are a good bit slower when overclock for the same price....your sure you want to just pay for a slower chip...if so then oh well I guess, your loss in the end I guess...

The Zalman 9700 is a good CPU cooler however the Tuniq Tower 120 is better for the same price. Unless if the superclocked is the same price get the plain regular 8800GTS as there is no real difference between the two. I'm not a fan of raptors and I would RAID 0 two seagate 7200.10 HDD's for way more space and comparable performance.

Most gamers don't prefer the MX Revolution and they like the MX518, G5, or G7 instead. As well as most gamers prefer the Logitech G11, or G15 for a keyboard.

That case is ok I guess however I would get something with a little better cooling for a little more. However it should work ok.

Thanks for the input, but:

- I am getting an amazing deal on the AMD processor, so yes, yes I am positive about it

- The Tuniq Tower 120 looks too big an heavy for my case so i dont want to risk it...

- The Superclocked 8800 GTS is the same price on sale as the basic 8800 GTS and is a bit faster

- I'm not sure I'd have enough money to buy TWO internal hard-drives... so unless theres a serious issue with the Raptor... I only plan on using it for windows and for games, the external will house everything else...

- And finally, as for the mouse, keyboard, and case... they are wireless and the case has a remote on/off feature... I move around my room a lot (I have a projector that I use pretty frequently) so the wireless is practically a must... unless you recommend a better pair of wireless devices maybe?

thanx though... and if you notice anything else, let me know... - RK

....I'm not sure what kind of "amazing deal" you're getting on that 6000+ but I guarantee it's a mistake unless you're getting it for under 50-60 usd......

The 6000+ at stock speed (3.0ghz) doesn't even beat the e6600 at stock in games...and the e6600 only runs at 2.4 so imagine when you pop it up to 3.2-3.5+

raptors are not worth it IMO if i were you id get 2 250gb sata hdds instead and maybe raid them or just keep them seperate, if you raid them they are sopoused to be faster then a raptor
also idk what case that is but for the most part from what i have seen alot of raidmax cases are cheap may i suggest something like a lian li or thermaltake?

well if he can get the 6000 for like 100 bucks then that is a really good deal that even i would take

The Tuniq Tower isn't dangerous or anything to use lol...your right it is big but still it's very good. It would fit.

When I say two drives I mean two of these.

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Then RAID 0 them for comparable performance of a 10k RPM drive but quadruple the space. Unless if you want to take the space hit and want a single fast drive.

I figured that the superclocked was on sale for the same price thats why I asked.

Most recommend this mouse, it's a Laser wireless mouse.

Newegg.com - Logitech G7 Black 6 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Mouse - Retail

EDIT: if he says hes getting a deal on the X2 6000 then let him be becuase not only is the X2 in his case a good deal and cheaper obviously but the motherboards for AMD are cheaper as well so let him be.

However an X2 @ 3.3ghz will give him very good frames with an 8800GTS though and if he is getting a deal then let him be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom