Gaming Rig - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Gaming Rig

Hi, i'm about about to build a whole new high end gaming system but i'm having a little trouble on deciding on the cpu.
I was thinking of putting in an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ possibly a 3800+ if i spend too much on the graphics card. Or is it better to use a single core AMD Athlon 64 4000+. I was thinking the dual core so i could get more use out of it and my pc wouldn't have to push hard to play intense games. What should i use?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

I would go with 2gb ram 7800gt and amd 4000+.

Just me.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i agree with kitire. i think theres too much hype about the dual core and not enough results, but thats just me. get an sli mobo so you have the option of SLI'ing later on in your computers life, an asus would be your best option. EVGA 7800GT, and make sure you dont get a stock power supply unless it is fairly good. antec truepower and smartpower are both good models for power supplies, so look at those.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks guys this is basically the computer i was thinking of building

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 nForce 4
RAM: 2G OCZ PC3200
Video Card: eVGA 7800gtx if i can find one in AUS OR an Asus 7800gtx
Hard Drives: Seagate 200gb SATA X2 ( the mobo has onboard raid)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+( was considering the dual core)
PSU:Antec Truepower 550W

Then i'll most likely buy a Thermaltake Soprano and maybe a liquid colling system. The computer is still in the blue prints stages though, i just want a good high end system that will be able to play games on high and they wont run choppy (which i'm pretty sure the cpu and vc are capable of) for a couple of years.

I don't think i would ever bother with SLi though, you put so much money into and don't really get that much of a performance increasment.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I will go with dual core, as the difference in performance now is not alot, and it will greatly help when games go multi threaded, and single cores will not work well.

If you are overclocking, get the platinum series, if not, the generic ram will be fine.

Consider getting the Tsunami instead, as it is made better, and has vents in the front for air to get in, unlike the soprano, that has cheap plastic on the front, and no air vents.

Glad to see you know the truth of SLI.

Consider the A8N-SLI though, as the E looks crap. Also, get cable tidy kit, rounded IDE cable and UV reactive sata cable, along with a cold cathode.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Closed Thread