Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
get the q6600 from ClubIT they guarantee it

we don't recommend 4gb to gamers, we usually recommend it for Visual Designers and CAD users

Would I lose performance for gaming? I will also be using sony vegas to make videos of games...so maybe 4gb would help there. If it's only 80$ more I don't mind spending the extra money.

I also run x-fire, ventrilo, winamp, web pages, and all that good stuff in the background when I play games...so the extra memory could help.

Q6600 is sold out on clubIT.

Tiger and NewEgg have both been shipping G0 since about Dec. I think the stock of B3's are gone now. I just ordered a Q6600 2 days ago from NewEgg. Will see what I get, but lately all reviewers say they have got a G0. Ordered my other Q6600 from tiger about 1.5 months ago and got a G0 also.

To be honest, I don't really know why I hate AMD. I just always have.... Does it really matter anyway? The benchmarks I have seen all show that Intel is owning the gaming scene nowadays.

Some Duo's will out preform a Quad on gaming. Games are not designed to take full advantage of quads, yet. But, there are some in the works and you stated you wanted a future proof system. Eventually games will use the Quads to their full potential. Also, where you stated that you run multiple programs in the background while gaming, a Quad would be best for this situation. A Quad will run anything on the market just fine.

yeah if you're going to be making videos of your games, or making videos in general, that might be reason to get a quad, but for strictly gaming the duo wins. Add on top of that the 45nm architecture of the new wolfdale and it will blow the Q6600 away. You can get over 4Ghz out of them easy. Quads have a lower FSB wall than Duos.
Alan Wake is supposed to be the first quad core optimized game, but they've been talking about it since 2006, and I read that it isn't even due out till 2009.... by that time we will be just getting in to Socket 1366 mobo's and the first Octo Core CPU's... and you can be sure people will jump all over the octo's even though games will only be supporting Quads LOL

Also, I got 4gb of RAM because at the time the Ballistix Tracers were $40 per 2x1gb kit after rebate, and at that price I couldn't NOT get 2, but if I had to pay regular price I would've just got 1 pair.

Thanks for the help guys. In a week or so I will post my final decisions for review. In the mean time, anything anyone has to add will be greatly appreciated.

go quad core... even if the games arent designed to optimize the quad cores it does not mean that you get any less performance then you would get with a dual core...you SHOULD get more.

I'm still standing by Quad-Core Yorkfields tho, because a lot of em I've seen go to 4.0ghz + on air, and the Wolfdales seem to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom