Gaming PC stolen, gotta improvise

Mr_Fluffles

Beta member
So, our family was robbed. Whoopwhoop. Figures they'd take my $2,000 setup. Thank god i took my laptop to work with me that day. I still have something "okay"-ish to play Hearthstone and Starcraft on. So i am gonna have to improvise with under 1,000 for my next build. Critique is welcome, tell me what i could improve for cheaper, how i did with the build, are there any improvements i could make beyond pricing? Thanks guys! I did forget a cooler.

Build Specs:

Power supply : Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M - $80.00

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 Window CA-1B3-00M1WN-00 Mid-tower Computer Chassis (Black) - $50.00

Gigabyte AMD R9 390 512 Bit GDDR5 8GB 2xDVI/HDMI/3xDP G1 Gaming Graphics Card GV-R939G1 GAMING-8GD - $329.00

MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-G45 GAMING - $137.00

AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition - $100

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00/BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00 - $45.00

WD Blue 1TB Desktop 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive - $53.00

Acer G246HL 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor - $130.00

Total: $925.00
Really wasn't looking to even spend over $900, but i really need a monitor too, as again mine were stolen.

What are you using this build for?
Using this build for live-streaming, music production and general gaming. Not quite yet video editing.

Prospects, hopes for the build?
I want to not so much future proof the build, but, make it able to be upgraded in the future. I plan to be eventually using two GPUs in Xfire with up to four monitors.

~Thanks guys, hope to see some positive and informative replies. You guys rock! :silly:

Well your PSU is a budget range, and although decent with that kind of money you'd be better off getting the Seasonic M1211 620w. Before you argue, you won't be doing Crossfire 390s on that CX series anyways.

Speaking of that, for the money just get a GTX 970 instead. It outperforms the 390, performs cooler, and takes half the wattage to power. When you go SLI you'll be able to do it on the better Seasonic PSU without worrying.

The only real issue here is the FX6300 won't work on that MSI Z97 board. That's an AMD chip and an Intel motherboard. I really can't recommend getting an AMD with the state of things but at the time you don't exactly have the cash to get an i5 either.

IMO, an i3 would handle games just fine... Can always upgrade to the i5 or i7 later.

Can go with the i3-4170 for $125 and the PNY VCGGTX97004XPB GTX 970...

GPU: $309 + $40.00 Mail-in-rebate (if he qualifies)
CPU: $124.99

Few months or a year or so later can upgrade to the i5 or an i7 if really needed...

For anyone dissing on an i3, even a Pentium is decent enough for average gaming, only thing I am unsure about is i3 + gaming + live streaming...

Last edited:
Average gaming, but when paired with a higher GPU and tossed with higher settings the Pentium buckles down. Streaming using NVC should be fine, no CPU usage really. Only a few games will give the i3 trouble.

*gasp* how dare you put words in my mouth!

Sometimes I consider them purely for the core count if it comes to a host build... Intel options are just a bit too pricey when you need higher core counts.

Be glad I didn't suggest an AMD board for his AMD selections. >.>

Thanks for that recommendation! I think i should be fine in terms of streaming, i just want to make sure my stream is decent quality. Not choppy or pixely.

And yes, that is why i chose AMD parts for the most part, they're much cheaper.

Thanks for that recommendation! I think i should be fine in terms of streaming, i just want to make sure my stream is decent quality. Not choppy or pixely.

And yes, that is why i chose AMD parts for the most part, they're much cheaper.
Cheaper and slower. Your stream will be limited mostly by your internet connection rather than the encoder. If you go with a 970 and use NVC in OBS it won't rely on the CPU at all.

Technically the 970 and the i3 CPU i mentioned is the same, if not slightly cheaper, and should be better overall for future upgrades

Back
Top Bottom