Gaming PC - Same old question - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BColes
You should try thinking about something other than "right now" and even "right now" you will see performance boosts with 2 gigs over 1. Think about 6 months from now. 99% of people want a computer to perform well for as long as possible, not just "right now".
Im going to build a completely new system anyways when Windows Vista comes out with a DX10 compliant card. If you are into PCs for gaming, look at a complete rebuild every year and a half, 2 years at the most.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by BandwidthHogg
Im going to build a completely new system anyways when Windows Vista comes out with a DX10 compliant card. If you are into PCs for gaming, look at a complete rebuild every year and a half, 2 years at the most.
ok... and i agree. If you do a completely new build 2 gigs of RAM is standard now-a-days. on a different subject, i just got a Raptor drive and it's really nice. It's way faster than my old 7200 IDE, also it's a bit louder so if you want silence you may not want one. I really like it though.

2x1gb Corsair XMS CL2
1 Raptor 74 gig
ABIT AN8 Ultra
OCZ Powerstream 520w
Old 12-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by BColes
ok... and i agree. If you do a completely new build 2 gigs of RAM is standard now-a-days. on a different subject, i just got a Raptor drive and it's really nice. It's way faster than my old 7200 IDE, also it's a bit louder so if you want silence you may not want one. I really like it though.
cool.. good luck with it.. another subject change.. ive been asking about how well my system will perform but since ive changed my component choices so many times, im gonna ask again. the parts that will be in my new pc are in my signature. how well will this system handle todays high demanding graphical games and on what graphic settings?(FEAR, Half life2, Doom 3, etc) also if i have some extra money really soon, what would be some good upgrades (after reading this topic.. im guessing another gig of ram)
Corsair Ram 1GB (2x512)
NEC DVD Burner
Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive

Old 12-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah I've thought about upgrading to 2GB of RAM. Its hard to believe that while 2GB of RAM is becomming standard for gaming PCs, companies like Dell and HP still sell new PCs with only 256MB.

Closed Thread