RAM 1 GB (2*512) PC3200 ~£55

motherboard ASUS A8N (SLI) ~£80

GPU 7800GT ~£283

HDD 160GB SATA ~£52

PSU ASAKA power ~£86
plus 550W

VDU LG 19" CRT ~£115

the case is up to you but so far the total is ~£921

there is no actual budget but keep in mind that the more it costs the longer it will take to save up for.

I would change a few things.

1. Get a different motherboard like the delux or premium version.

2. Dont cheap out on ram get some good stuff like corsair xms.

3. Get a different power supply preferably from a better known company such as Antec or Thermaltake.

The case is whatever you like. I personally like Antec such as the Lan Boy series and the 3700 series.

I hope this helps you make your decision better.

looking at other threads it seems that the x2 is all very well now, but very expencive by comparison. however in future games they will run much better with the two cores, thing is... how much better and is it really worth the cost when there will be something even better in a couple of months.
btw how do you guys think the fx-5x compare with the x2 4x00

why the expensive RAM i wont be overclocking it.

i chose the AKASA PSU because of the review it got in computer shopper magazine...i dont know how biased it is though, if at all.

thanks for the advice i do agree with you on the mobo though! :)

Well to be honest with you if you have a 3500 amd or up your probably not going to notice the difference between them. Thats already very fast and is going to last you for awhile. I dont think people need dual core processors yet but if you get the Asus premium version you have the abily to upgrade to a dual core processor in the future. The best way to pick a power supply is reviews. But one review in a magazine might not be the the best basis to buy a power supply. I just think you should go with a power supply that has alot of good reviews instead of just one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103908

Take a look at this one.

Regarding the ram issue if you want to cheap out on it thats your decision. If you want a good gaming machine ram is very important. where do you think that program runs? If you want to get some cheap ram I would suggest this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

I wouldnt go any cheaper. Also make sure you have good cooling because cheap ram usually will not include heat spreaders which makes them more prone to overheat.

From what I hear it might be best to get a 3700 San Diego and OC it, as for the mobo a DFI should suite a high end system like that. Also you may want to wait 11 days before buying a video card so you can compare the X1800 series to the 7800 using benchmarks that should be up in no time after its release. But getting the 7800 won't disapoint you.

KMOTE said:
hows this for a gaming machine:

processor Athlon 64 4000+ ~£250

RAM 1 GB (2*512) PC3200 ~£55

motherboard ASUS A8N (SLI) ~£80

GPU 7800GT ~£283

HDD 160GB SATA ~£52

PSU ASAKA power ~£86
plus 550W

VDU LG 19" CRT ~£115

the case is up to you but so far the total is ~£921

there is no actual budget but keep in mind that the more it costs the longer it will take to save up for.

ok everything looks good here, but i would switch the mobo from asus to dfi

sense asus sucks with amd and DFI rocks with amd. for the ram. the ram is ok. the hdd is good. the video card is good, but make sure you unlock the 4 pipelines if you can. the power supply, im not sure bout it. i would go with an antec psu

Why do you say go with the antec psu...???? I mean I've heard good things about fortron too....and sparkle...? any reason..?

now is the worst time to build a pc. 1. amd will be introducing a new mobo that will allow ddr2.2. intel will also be introducing a new chip that will be better than the lga775 and different and up to 5x better all around. no joke loke at maximum pc. 3.when amd allows ddr2 it will also deliver a new socket and set up.
and with the 7800gt's and all video cards in general they will all be coming down in price especially when the "caugh" r520 comes out so id really wait.
and get sual core if ur gonna get a amd 64 4000+ pay the money for x2
get this psu blows everything else awa:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817190006

dont worry, those specs are very likely to change as it will still be a few months before this PC is actually running. i think i will get an antec PSU but one with a higher wattage(the XION looks a little expencive), maybe the DFI board but idk i quite liked the ASUS. corsair RAM- I like and i love the lifetime warrenty. thanks for the suggestions guys, still more appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom